Crankshaft hard to turn by Jayfelt
Started on: 06-03-2015 08:56 PM
Replies: 10 (193 views)
Last post by: IanT720 on 06-06-2015 01:06 AM
Jayfelt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay so some know about how i striped the center bolt on my crank shaft pulley trying to turn it so i could adjust my valves. Well i got the new bolt and the crank shaft is so hard to turn that the bolt still is still tightening and if i keep turning ill strip it again. I was thinking that something in the engine is stuck or broke. So i said the hell with it and turned the car over with the fuel relay out despite whatever i may break in the process just to see what happens. The starter was turning the engine just fine with no problems what so ever. I went to the crank shaft pulley again to try turning it again and it only moved a few inches and stop. While it moved It made a noise like rubber rubbing on something near the harmonic balancer. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jayfelt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Also forgot to mention that the crankshaft moved freely at the begging of this and for many rotations.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jayfelt:

While it moved It made a noise like rubber rubbing on something near the harmonic balancer. Any ideas?

Well, have you looked at the harmonic balancer? It's made up of an outer ring and an inner hub... and rubber in between. And they do fall apart occasionally.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-03-2015).]

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a hunch. But what are you doing with your engine. Did you install a new timing chain? Its possible you installed it incorrectly. Would explain why its getting harder to turn over because your battling the compression.
Jayfelt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have to get a pulley puller tomorrow and look at it all. Only thing i did inside the engine was a rod bearing and replaced my valve springs and seals. Rod bearing is in right and not tight. Like i said the crankshaft was doing full rotations so rod cap isnt to tight or anything.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 02:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jayfelt:

Only thing i did inside the engine was a rod bearing

So you pulled the timing chain off. Check it out. You are probably off a few teeth.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much torque are you putting on the bolt?
It shouldn't take more than 50 ft lbs to turn over the engine. Usually the problem is the engine turns over BEFORE you can get the bolt tight. You said the bolt is still 'tightening'....but is it? Something may be TURNING, but it doesnt sound like it is actually getting tight.
Jayfelt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JayfeltSend a Private Message to JayfeltEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:

How much torque are you putting on the bolt?
It shouldn't take more than 50 ft lbs to turn over the engine. Usually the problem is the engine turns over BEFORE you can get the bolt tight. You said the bolt is still 'tightening'....but is it? Something may be TURNING, but it doesnt sound like it is actually getting tight.

When I say its still trying to turn i mean that it wants to turn to the point it wants to strip (again). I have discovered that if you lock the flywheel in place and loosen the bolt on the pulley and then unlock the flywheel and tighten the bolt again the crank will start to spin again and then stops. So from what it seems like is that the pulley and balancer is getting tightened to hard against something witch i guess would enplane the rubbing noise i heard (I'm guessing). I'm about to get started now and see whats up.

Let me know if anyone has any other ideas please and thank you.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You did pull the spark plugs, right? They are all out while you're trying to turn the crank?

The crank will become increasingly difficult to turn if you left them in, as the cylinder which is on the compression stroke will build enough pressure that it feels like the crank is getting stuck. It will turn fine with the starter cranking it over, but you will feel it sticking trying to turn it by hand.
lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It sounds like your balancer outter ring is seperating and becoming wedged up against the block/timing cover
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the starter sticking? My 3800sc did this, finally took the starter off, the nose cone was broken and the bushings were shot! New starter is awesome
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock