Planning a single din digital media player by imacflier
Started on: 06-03-2015 03:23 PM
Replies: 11 (396 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 06-05-2015 02:50 PM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 03:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, guys,

After looking for a long time, I finally picked up a Soundstream VR-722HB. It is a single din 7" DVD receiver with Bluetooth and cell phone screen mirroring. It can be seen here: http://www.sonicelectronix....stream-VR-722HB.html

Since I do not want to have to look down to see a nav screen, simply putting it in place of the radio is not feasible.

My current plan is to relocate the gauges from the Aux Instrument cluster into the existing radio opening, build a single din enclosure and mount that enclosure on top of the center stack in place of the Aux Cluster. That will put it at eye level and the controls and touch screen within easy reach and not interfere with vent openings or other controls. It will also provide a down facing shelf (the bottom of the new enclosure) to mount a dual popout cupholder: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181...e=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Other than shortening or lengthening of the Aux Cluster wiring and adapting a mounting plate to fit the 1 1/2 din opening, do you see any nasty surprises in store me?

I look forward to your ideas, suggestions, and criticisms.

Larry

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have nothing to offer here, other than a plea for pics when complete!
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car came with a Boss brand nav/DVD/CD. It's in the stock location. I can see it just fine (assuming you don't plan on trying to watch a DVD while you're driving). The only problem is that it needs to be rotated (it stays flat compared to the dash). If I planned on keeping the car, I'd probably try to remount it so it was angled towards me. Now that I think about it, I might put it in my truck.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 02:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great idea! Please keep us updated with details & pic's please!

[This message has been edited by Ponnari (edited 06-04-2015).]

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If car has Auto Trans... the shifter in park can/will cause clearance problems w/ open/closing the screen.
Hard enough just changing Tape/CD w/ AT in Park.

Is illegal to have screen on in front of any car (anywhere Driver can view the screen) and driving in most states.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd be interested to see how this turns out as well!!! If you can do it and make it look good you might want to think about making kits to sell. I'm sure you'll have some takers. The DIN and a half radio slot doesn't have many options these days and the space is very tight down there.
I started to build a double DIN head unit into a Fiero but someone broke into my car, stole the radio and jacked up the trim panel and the inner plastic mounting holes for the radio and HVAC controls. What I did was swap the location of the radio and the HVAC to give the radio more visual clearance from the gear select lever. It worked quite well and my kids could watch DVD's without any obstructions from the shifter and I was able to see the GPS without any issue either. I did slightly offset the HVAC controls to the driver side so that I had a better visual of them as well as a better reach to them. That was a more convenient setup. While driving I could rest my hand on the center console in front of the HVAC controls to change the settings and with the radio higher I was able to rest my arm on the gear select to mess with the radio. I only had a couple of pics before the radio was stolen but another idea that someone might want to continue with.

------------------
87 Fiero GT 3.4 Pushrod with 7730 ECM & DIS
88 MERA #8013
85 Fiero SE with 3.1 pushrod
86 Fiero SE 2.8 stock
http://www.youtube.com/LostNotForgotton

LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

LostNotForgotton

186 posts
Member since Dec 2014

Originally posted by theogre:

If car has Auto Trans... the shifter in park can/will cause clearance problems w/ open/closing the screen.
Hard enough just changing Tape/CD w/ AT in Park.

Is illegal to have screen on in front of any car (anywhere Driver can view the screen) and driving in most states.

Very true. I have a flip out single DIN in my car now and I have to put it in drive to open the screen and I have to close the screen before putting it in park.

I didn't think about the legality of the radio from my previous post. That is also true. It is illegal for the driver to be able to view a video source while driving. With the radio that high up it will be quite easy to spot the violation. In the case of my double DIN if I were to get pulled over while the kids were watching a DVD I could merely change the source to the radio before the officer approached the car. I had to actually re-pin the wiring harness to the Pioneer radio I installed in order to defeat the parking brake requirement. Those manufactures are starting to make it harder than just grounding out the parking brake wire.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Regarding driver visible video screens: I do not believe that the presence of a screen is illegal, just the actual playing of video. That would make it similar to Virginia's radar detector laws: you may possess the detector, but may not USE it!. Otherwise how could any GPS mapping system be legal?

Regarding auto shift lever: I have a manual!

In prototyping using cardboard, it appears the new enclosure will be the same height as the main instrument cluster and will extend from the dashcover to the front of the instrument cluster.....Anyone have a source of vinyl which is a decent match to Beechwood?

Larry
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

Regarding driver visible video screens: I do not believe that the presence of a screen is illegal, just the actual playing of video. That would make it similar to Virginia's radar detector laws: you may possess the detector, but may not USE it!. Otherwise how could any GPS mapping system be legal?

Anyone have a source of vinyl which is a decent match to Beechwood?

Larry

Check with Russ88Ttop or Mr. Mike on the Beechwood leatherette/vinyl.

My head unit has GPS so, when using that, it has to be open. I've never tried to play a DVD on it. I have a 5 speed and, with the shifter in 1st, 3rd and 5th, the screen can come out with about a 1/2" to spare. (I have an RD short shifter.)
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

Using GPS is legal most times.
Many states have rules where/how GPS are mounted. Poor mounting can a ticket because interfere w/ driver's view of road. Example: Many GPS stuck to windshield but many time is illegal. Mounting problem is why EZPass says to mount the unit behind right side of mirror.

Driver's view + driving + any other video On = can get a Driver a fat ticket and likely points in most states.
Even when (re)programing GPS for any reason then pull over to do whatever or have passenger do that. Many states can give Distracted Driving ticket for many things. That's a fine plus points in most places. (Messing w/ GPS on any Phones while driving can make you a ticket magnet and cause very big headaches.)

Stick is a problem too many cases... First/Third/etc gear might still cause clearance issues w/ the screen, block screen view, etc.
Big issues is Stick trans w/o P-brake on and working can roll easy in gear depending on gear and where you parked. If the car hits something/someone while messing w/ video etc then better have good insurance.
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monkeyman,

Thanks for the suggestion of MrMike! He has a section on his site for "bulk materials" under Fiero Options. I had never noticed it before. It does not list Beechwood specifically, but I dropped him a line, he promptly responded and I am now waiting for a PayPal request to order a yard of Beechwood leatherette!

Thanks again!

Larry
PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Check with Russ88Ttop or Mr. Mike on the Beechwood leatherette/vinyl.

My head unit has GPS so, when using that, it has to be open. I've never tried to play a DVD on it. I have a 5 speed and, with the shifter in 1st, 3rd and 5th, the screen can come out with about a 1/2" to spare. (I have an RD short shifter.)

I also have a single DIN head unit with a pop up 7" screen (also has adjustable viewing angle). This is installed in a car with Amida's F355 interior and a five speed manual transmission. I have no trouble using the GPS on the big screen and use the stock location.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock