Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Does lowering the ride height affect steering difficulty?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Does lowering the ride height affect steering difficulty? by Rsvl-Rider
Started on: 06-02-2015 09:29 PM
Replies: 8 (316 views)
Last post by: theogre on 06-05-2015 09:43 AM
Rsvl-Rider

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just read the post by fierosound...

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/135687.html

His post came just as I was thinking about posting a question about the steering on my 88 GT.

Although it seems fine at mid to high speed, and there are no outward signs of problems like funny noises or binding, the turning effort at parking lot speed has always seemed to be harder than it should be. That feeling has been reinforced lately after acquiring my 86 GT. Before getting the 86 GT I had nothing to compare it to. The steering in the 86 seems much more comfortable at low speeds. The PO lowered the car and I have been wondering if the lower stance on the 88 changing the geometry resulted in the harder steering.

Or maybe my problem is similar to that in fierosound's post?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I haven't noticed a difference in lowered 87 SE,

Could be different rack ratios in Fiero's that you have driven in the past

88 rack ratios are all the same. And the racks are not supposed to be interchangeable with other years.

85 - 87 racks have two ratios, GT rack is faster (fewer turns lock to lock) making them harder to steer at very low speeds.

The 85-87 'slower' ratio is 3.5 turns and the 'faster' (GT) ratio is 3.0 turns lock to lock

In the past I have installed racks from the slower 85-87 model Fiero's (SE,Base, etc) into GT's which makes them easier to turn at very low speeds but not quite as quick steering at high speeds

Hope this helps

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

[This message has been edited by Ponnari (edited 06-02-2015).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

How was the front of the '88 GT lowered?

According to the PO...

"Front drop spindles & springs; approximately 2" rear adjustable coil-overs"

That's all I know.

dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2015 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rsvl-Rider:
According to the PO...

"Front drop spindles & springs; approximately 2" rear adjustable coil-overs"

That's all I know.

If the angle geometry of the steering was changed as a result of the lowering, then it will affect how it steers. Do both cars have stock size tires/wheels as well? Wider tires will make steering more difficult, so if your 88 has wider tires on the front, it will feel harder to steer at low speeds.
Rsvl-Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rsvl-RiderSend a Private Message to Rsvl-RiderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

If the angle geometry of the steering was changed as a result of the lowering, then it will affect how it steers. Do both cars have stock size tires/wheels as well? Wider tires will make steering more difficult, so if your 88 has wider tires on the front, it will feel harder to steer at low speeds.

Don't know anything about the geometry, but both cars are running 205/60R15 in the front.

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 07:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The steering effort on the 88 should be less than the 86.
The 88 has less scrub radius and slightly slower rack than the 86.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you change Caster setting then that will change steering effort.
Changing tires and/or wheel(rim) can affect steering effort too.
Both together can make a car hard to steer, especially on cars w/o power steering.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 06-05-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock