Lowering my 88 by Pontiacguy86
Started on: 06-01-2015 09:58 PM
Replies: 11 (360 views)
Last post by: hnthomps on 06-10-2015 11:52 AM
Pontiacguy86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiacguy86Send a Private Message to Pontiacguy86Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I haven't really found an answer to my question so if someone has a good write up or link that would help but I want to lower my 88 formula. I can get a set of eibach lowering springs but they are for 84-87 would they work? If not why?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They won't work because the length, diameter and rates are incorrect for the 88 suspension.......
Cutting the stock springs is a good option.
Lowering the car doesn't help the geometry.....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-01-2015).]

ILVMYGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
West Coast Fiero has lower spring for an 88. I don't know what the lead time to get them.

http://www.westcoastfiero.c.../springs/springs.php

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pontiacguy86:

I haven't really found an answer to my question so if someone has a good write up or link that would help but I want to lower my 88 formula. I can get a set of eibach lowering springs but they are for 84-87 would they work? If not why?

I have been told that the 1inch lowering springs I bought for my 86 will work on my formula, but I haven't gotten around to redoing the front suspension yet.

Once I get my 3800 swapped in, I wouldn't mind doing a cruise around Oneida Lake if you're interested sometime.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DKcustoms:

I have been told that the 1inch lowering springs I bought for my 86 will work on my formula

It seems they will not if 88 are one year only springs.
85LAMB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 04:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey
I just did this recently

after doing a lot of reading and asking questions.....
I ended up using the frt springs from an 86 GT with 1 1/2 coils removed in the frt of an 88 Formula.
That ended up puting the frt end the same hight as the rear, which is what I wanted.
The ride is a little bit firmer since, that increases the spring rate.

My opinion is that the ride is 100% better than stock since the stock ride was too soft for me.
Handling wise is much better also.
note: I must say that I also replaced the frt shocks n swaybar links at the same time.
Hope that helps

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Hey
I just did this recently

I ended up using the frt springs from an 86 GT with 1 1/2 coils removed in the frt of an 88 Formula.
That ended up puting the frt end the same hight as the rear, which is what I wanted.

My opinion is that the ride is 100% better than stock since the stock ride was too soft for me.
note: I must say that I also replaced the frt shocks n swaybar links at the same time.
Hope that helps

Thanks, are you running stock size wheels and tires?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85LAMB:

Hey
I just did this recently

Hope that helps

My Formula is running 86 GT springs, shortened by 1.25 coils, in the front.
It's running 88 front springs, shortened by 1 coil, in the rear.
Both mods provide a slightly stiffer spring rate.

This is how it sits.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

Jake_2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_2m4Send a Private Message to Jake_2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Rodney's lowering balljoints for the front. Lowered my 88 by exactly 1 inch.

Lowering ball joints

Although you also have to get longer sway bar end links. Rodney sells that too.

I made coil overs for the back, there's a build thread on how to do it on this forum somewhere. (cutting springs would be cheaper)
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2015 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IIRC lowering ball joints typically interfere with brake upgrades, so if that's a thing you plan on doing be sure lowering ball joints won't be a roadblock in the future. That said, the nice thing about lowering balljoints is that they will help preserve front end geometry.
85LAMB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85LAMBSend a Private Message to 85LAMBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

Thanks, are you running stock size wheels and tires?

Yes, stock size wheels n tires

PFF
System Bot
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2015 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also used Rodney's lowering ball joints on the front of an 88 Mera and coil overs on the back to improve the visual appearance of my car. Looks good and handles fine on the road.

Nelson

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock