Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  4 spd Muncie ... GM synchromesh or 'friction modified GM syncromesh'?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
4 spd Muncie ... GM synchromesh or 'friction modified GM syncromesh'? by Lou and Blue
Started on: 06-01-2015 05:30 PM
Replies: 13 (1035 views)
Last post by: dobey on 06-02-2015 10:57 AM
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everybody! Ready to fill my 4 spd Muncie
So,
GM synchromesh or the friction modified stuff?
Is there a difference?
Is there a specific number of what I should be buying? I know to get 3 quarts as the trans takes 2.8 quarts roughly. I see GM synchromesh in eBay for 9.79 a quart.
I won't use the penzzoil I will surely use the GM but I want to make sure I am buying the right stuff
Thanks guys !
Louis

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"My mind spins like helicopter blades." -G. Rossdale
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 05:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Apparently the fluid is the same...just the names are different. Here is a quote from the 'BobIsTheOilGuy' site.

" AC Delco Synchromesh Transmission Fluid" ... General Motors Canada Part # 89021808
" AC Delco Synchromesh Transmission Fluid - Friction Modified" -GM USA Part # 10953509

Difference between the above is labelling to meet national standards.

GM Friction Modified - #12377916 is an old part # and the above replaces it.

The MSDS for the above lists the product as "Shell MTX Fluid", and that is confirmed by Shell documentation.

Shell documentation shows is also sold by Chrysler dealers as "SYNCHROMESH TRANSMISSION FLUID" Code 1874 MTX Fluid; MOPAR Part # 4761526

The fluid is a popular recommended MTF in Getrag transmissions, Honda, and Mazda 5 and 6 speeds. Users generally report better shift feel at all operating temperatures and better low-temperature performance at cold-start.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Either will work, the friction modified is for limited slip diffs.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How do I tell if my 85 four speed is limited slip differential or not?

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's interesting that the fluids are the same. I thought the FM fluid was extra "grippy". I guess not. No Fieros came with a limited slip differential.

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a friction modifier additive that comes in some diff oils, it prevents the clutch plates from chattering in turns. It's also used in construction equipment that uses wet brake systems. Older Skytraks had to have 4 ozs of modifier per hub or the brakes would chatter so bad it would shake the machine.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone know where to get it cheapest online?

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got mine from summit racing, can't find the link right now but I think it was $8 a qt.
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pennzoil Synchromesh works well in the 5sp Getrag. Find it at most parts stores, about $8.99 (Advance Auto). You need two 32oz bottles for the Getrag. Should also do you well in the Muncie.

.............................................................................................................................

PENNZOIL® SYNCHROMESH MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID
Pennzoil® Synchromesh Fluid is a manual transmission fluid designed for certain manual transaxles and manual transmissions used by General Motors or Chrysler. Pennzoil® Synchromesh manual transmission fluid is formulated with high-quality paraffinic base stocks, a fluidity modifier, multifunctional performance additives, corrosion inhibitors, a foam suppressor and a shear stable viscosity index improver additive. It provides excellent oxidation stability, low-temperature performance, excellent synchronizer performance and compatibility with yellow metals, such as bronze, brass and copper components found in manual transaxles and transmissions. Synchromesh manual transmission fluid will satisfactorily lubricate General Motors or Chrysler manual transaxles and transmissions from -40 C to +150 C.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 06-02-2015).]

ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use the Pennzoil Synchromesh in my last transmission oil change and it worked fine. I bought it at Auto Zone.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've used the Pennzoil stuff from AutoZone (same stuff) in 4 speeds and Isuzu 5 speeds with great results.
PFF
System Bot
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got my synchromesh from Amazon, was between $10-15 a quart.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to get mine on line from summit racing since none of the auto stores around here carry it
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can get the GM stuff in the parts/accessories department at any GM dealer.

For after market fluids, the Royal Purple synchromesh seems to be the best you can get at AutoZone/Advance/etc…from what I've seen.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock