under car a/c hose help by jagonza
Started on: 06-01-2015 10:49 AM
Replies: 9 (830 views)
Last post by: LostNotForgotton on 06-03-2015 02:17 PM
jagonza

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jagonzaSend a Private Message to jagonzaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have a leak in my a/c hose in the front compartment, i removed the tire well and see that the hose goes under the car and back to the compressor, the hose itself is rotten and i found a local place that will make me a new one based on the old one. how do i get the hose off ? can i get it off without a lift ? again this is the hose from the front of the car to the rear.

thanks in advance for any help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The front compartment hose is part of the undercar line. You have to remove the whole line going back to the engine compartment. I'd be very surprised if a shop could repair the assembly.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I Just read this post. do you mean to say that the aluminum pipe with the rubber line that goes though the front tire well is all 1 piece going back to the rear of the car ?! Some wizard cut the front pipe about 4 inches from the plastic Nut on the drier with a pipe cutter ! Can just this piece of aluminum pipe be replaced ?? :-(
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
N M

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 06-01-2015).]

cptsnoopy

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cptsnoopySend a Private Message to cptsnoopyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just happen to be replacing the smaller #8 aluminum line that runs under the car along side the one you are dealing with. Because they both are tied together at the junction block behind the driver it makes things more difficult. It would be easiest to have the aluminum lines out of the car for the service shop to replace the flex hose up front. On my car I can take the lines out separately because I don't use the junction block anymore. Since you have the spare tire bucket out, it should be doable without a lift but I'm not positive about that. I have my car jacked up about 2 feet on the driver's side and supported with wood blocks. You should be able to see that the smaller line to the rear has a connection just over the top of the steering shaft. I would guess that you would disconnect it there and remove the plastic clamp that is just down line towards the rear that holds both lines. Then you would remove the plate that spans the tunnel under the fuel tank. You would need to disconnect the lines from the engine compartment flex lines at the junction block behind the driver and lastly remove the 2 sheet metal clamps that are holding the lines near the front and rear of the fuel tank. That should allow you to at least see if you can wiggle the line set out from under the car and get them to a shop for repair.
Maybe start by jacking up the driver's side as far as you can and after blocking it up for safety, have a look and see if all that makes any sense to you.

Charlie
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou6t4gto:

I Just read this post. do you mean to say that the aluminum pipe with the rubber line that goes though the front tire well is all 1 piece going back to the rear of the car ?! Some wizard cut the front pipe about 4 inches from the plastic Nut on the drier with a pipe cutter ! Can just this piece of aluminum pipe be replaced ?? :-(

Yep. Stupid design, huh?

The 84 and 85-88 lines are different, too, need to make sure you get the replacements off the correct car.
jagonza

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jagonzaSend a Private Message to jagonzaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for posting the pic really helps a ton

Out of the car the line looks shorter than I would have thought

Question: is the part of the line under the car metal or rubber ? The end that goes to the drier is rotten around the crimp and leaking badly.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The under car lines are aluminum.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you and I are pretty much talking about the same section of pipe (from the drier to the aluminum line under the car ). Looks to me like GM made it All 1 piece.
I would think that someone with the "proper crimping tool" could put in a new rubber line for you right IN the Car. On Mine, the aluminum tube "between" the rubber Line and the drier is destroyed. Has anyone GOT the "aluminum Line End" ( plastic nut to the rubber line) from an otherwise bad line set up I can get ?
LostNotForgotton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LostNotForgottonClick Here to visit LostNotForgotton's HomePageSend a Private Message to LostNotForgottonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your in need of having the rubber line replaced you should send a PM to 2002z28ssconv. He makes custom AC lines. I just sent off my old 2.8 AC line so he can custom make one that will mate to a 3800. I don't know what engine you have in the car but he is currently selling some AC lines for a 2.5.

2.5L AC Hose

84 AC Hoses

------------------
87 Fiero GT 3.4 Pushrod with 7730 ECM & DIS
88 MERA #8013
85 Fiero SE with 3.1 pushrod
86 Fiero SE 2.8 stock
http://www.youtube.com/LostNotForgotton

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: