Started on: 06-01-2015 12:40 AM
Replies: 11 (487 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 07-23-2015 03:40 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My wipers worked fine (with the usual phantom wipe both at start up and intermittantly) until yesterday. Now, I get the phantom wipe at start up (meaning there's power to the circuit) but nothing else works (no wiper/no washer/no mist). I checked the fuse and (assuming I got the right one (30 amp at the bottom of the fuse block)), that's fine although I replaced it just to be sure. The stalk is supposed to be new and looks like it. The wiper board was supposed to be replaced. The box and old wiper board came with the car so I would assume it really was replaced.

What else could it be? If it needs new parts, I'll add it to my ever growing list of parts I can't afford.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JohnnyBones

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyBonesSend a Private Message to JohnnyBonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need a new wiper switch inside the column. About a 1.5 hour job. I recently did mine and had to use a switch for an S-10 since the Fiero switch has been discontinued.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You got a part number? And directions? I'm not driving the car until I get this fixed. Tilt column, cruise (if it matters), intermittant wipers.

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 06-02-2015).]

JohnnyBones

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyBonesSend a Private Message to JohnnyBonesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2015 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like it would be less expensive and easier to replace the whole column..
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2015 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I replace the entire column, I may end up with the same problem. However, this looks like it might be a bit beyond my abilities. Since I have no intention of driving the car without wipers, I might just leave it parked (with the occasional trip around the neighborhood to keep things lubed up) until I pay it down enough to get my money out of it. Someone else can buy it and tinker with it. As much as I love Fieros, it might just be time for this non-mechanic to get something that's not 30 years old.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2015 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JohnnyBones:

Here is the column dis-assembly.

http://www.fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html

Since I can't find both a day when it's not raining AND a day when the shop can do the work AND a day when I'm not working myself (all at the same time), I've decided to tackle this on my own. If worse comes to worst, I'll buy another steering column and take that to a shop. I need my truck in the garage and I have a couple questions so I'll probably tackle this on Wednesday night (next night off) when I know I'll have time (I work tomorrow).

Here are my questions: First, Oliver says that he removed his column from the car after he removed the turn signal cancelling doohickey. Is this necessary?

Second, he states that to remove the wiper switch (which is the bad part in my column), it's necessary to remove (4) column support bolts and the harness protector. Is the column support on the top or bottom of the column? Can it be removed with the column in place?

About 1/2 way through the article, he says:

To remove the wiper switch, push the pivot pin out of the housing, and remove the switch.

Is that as far as I need to take the column apart? Push the pin out, replace the wiper switch, put the new pin in place then put everything back together?

Oliver also says:

When you pull the lock housing off, the high beam actuator may fall out.

Does anyone have a pic of this? He suggests putting it back in place with the column standing up (he took the column out).

Maybe a better question...how does the column come out of the car? If it's easy enough, maybe it would be worth it to remove it?

I'd appreciate any answers. I'm a little nervous doing this myself as I'm not terribly gifted when it comes to mechanics but I can't even drive the freakin' car right now and I can't sell it with non-working wipers.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Study the pics in the link carefully. Use a cell phone camera to shoot as you go. And yes a part will fall out from like nowhere and you'll wonder where it goes.
I've done these and had my whole column apart and I didn't have to remove the column from the car to do any of it.

Start this job early in the morning and have plenty of light in the work area. Sunroof helps a lot.

Be very cautious. If you see ball bearings falling from the column you went too deep and this could ruin your whole day and then some. If you run into a snag take a pic and post it and There's lots of members here that will hold you hand "so to speak" and walk you thru.

"A child could do it" -Bones/McCoy.

Don't give up.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Wittendorf1986

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wittendorf1986Send a Private Message to Wittendorf1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What year s10 wiper switch will work. I have a 85 se fiero
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2015 02:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wittendorf1986:

What year s10 wiper switch will work. I have a 85 se fiero

Originally posted by JohnnyBones:

SW946 is what I used.
http://www.autozone.com/1/p...-duralast-sw946.html

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 07-13-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2015 02:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wiper switch replaced and STILL NO WIPERS!!! The only improvement is a lack of phantom wipe on start. I've replaced the fuse (assuming it's the 30 amp at the very bottom of the fuse block). I'm NOT getting back into the column. Everything's plugged in as it should be. The PO allegedly replaced the wiper board. I have no idea where to go from here.

I've sweated myself into 2 showers tonight, my head hurts, I got something in my eye and I still can't drive the damn car. The battery's dead from the amp staying on (which is now on my kitchen counter and for sale) and I can't even drive the car around to charge up the battery. All I can do is park it back on the street and let it sit until it's sold. I was really hoping I could fix this and start to enjoy it again but I'm so turned off by the car (and at this point, Fieros in general) that I'd be happy never to see it again.

If anybody has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate them.

EDIT: I just ordered a new pulse board from RockAuto. It should be here Thursday. I have Friday off so I'll install it then.

[This message has been edited by Monkeyman (edited 07-21-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-23-2015 03:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replaced the pulse board tonight. The wipers seem to work now and without the phantom wipe. It also seems that the battery is holding a charge better. Probably a coincidence. I don't see any issues with the old pulse board. No burns, scorch marks, cold solders, puffy electronic gizmos, etc. I parked it back on the street. I won't be able to mess with it until some time Friday evening. I'll see if the battery keeps its charge then. If so, I'll make an appointment to get the oil leak fixed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock