High Beams Stuck On? by American Exotic
Started on: 05-31-2015 08:29 PM
Replies: 5 (151 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 06-01-2015 08:32 AM
American Exotic

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticClick Here to Email American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, need help regarding high beam headlights stuck on. Not sure what happened but when flipping the turn signal knob ,on the steering column back, I used to hear a click to actuate my high beam headlights on and off. Well no more clicking sound and my high beams are stuck in the on position. Atleast for now , Id rather not disassemble the steering column to get to what might be the problem. Does anybody know if there is a high beam relay or fuse? If there's something I can unplug for the time being rather than driving at night with the brights on would be great. If any other suggestions, please let me know, thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The HI/LO switch is on the left side of the steering column about 1/2 way down.
Remove the dash trim panel below the column and remove the two 15mm head bolts holding the column to the support.
The switch has three wires and is easy to replace.
It may also he that the actuating rod has just become unattached to the switch.
There is nothing you can just unplug to disable the HI beam and leave the LO on, as only one filament in the bulb burns at a time......
American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticClick Here to Email American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I think I see the two 15 MM bolts facing down holding the column up. If I take those off, does the column drop allowing me access to the switch? It still looks like if it drops I don't have good access to where I believe I need to be. Thanks
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 549
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Switch "bolts" loose will can this or bad switch. Rarely parts in the column can break.
If bolt get loose then switch will back down and rod can't push the switch.

If you can't fix right now.... I think you can unplug that with out much trouble. Maybe loosen 4 column mount bolts.
Unplug old switch and plug in a new one and let hang.
Or jumper the socket. Center goes to one or other never both. Make sure jumper can't hit anything and short out.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

American Exotic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 04:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for American ExoticClick Here to Email American ExoticSend a Private Message to American ExoticEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you very much. It looks like the rod worked its way out of the switch. I disassembled the lower mounts and noticed the rod just hanging there. Popped it back into the switch hole and Wala. Flipped the switch and high beams turned off. Once again, thanks for your help.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2015 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Glad you got it fixed!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock