85 Gt idle problem by J.E. Rowlett
Started on: 05-29-2015 03:49 PM
Replies: 10 (285 views)
Last post by: fierosound on 06-04-2015 09:14 AM
J.E. Rowlett

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J.E. RowlettSend a Private Message to J.E. RowlettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have just finished reinstalling engine and trans with new solid mounts and multiple other changes. The issue is when first started it searches then after a minute will settle down and idle very high. after it has ran for a while it will start searching again then die. On full acceleration it runs great. Engine light is on. I replaced a ton of stuff while i had the car apart, incl Idle control valve. I sent the injectors out to OK injectors for service. I don't have any type of scanner so i am just trying to figure it out before taking to a shop
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 03:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by J.E. Rowlett:

Engine light is on... I don't have any type of scanner so i am just trying to figure it out before taking to a shop.

Got a paper clip? ECM Diagnostics (Trouble) Codes
J.E. Rowlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J.E. RowlettSend a Private Message to J.E. RowlettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I will give it a spin. LOTS of info. I build mostly big block performance cars and while not totally lost i sure don't know where i am going. Very disappointed after spending 6 months in a full tear down and big bucks. I have owned this car for 16 years and want it to be right.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

while not totally lost i sure don't know where i am going.

You are following the grand master of advice, Patrick.... If you take your car to the shop, he will never forgive you.....
tell him the trouble codes and you will be on your way.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

If you take your car to the shop, he will never forgive you.....

A shop (except for a very few run by members here) is the last place any of us want to see someone take their Fiero to. We'd rather see it gets fixed correctly, at minimal cost.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-29-2015).]

J.E. Rowlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for J.E. RowlettSend a Private Message to J.E. RowlettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i understand, i am a pretty good old school mechanic but have trouble diagnosing electronic issues. I also have talked to a number of friends (Mechanics) and clearly they don't know anymore than i do. Will use the help the first of the week. Sure would be nice to learn something while resolving the problem. Thanks, Your help is sincerely appreciated.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sure would be nice to learn something while resolving the problem.

Oh, you'll learn lots... trust me.

I've been working on my Fieros for 20 years, and I still don't understand all the ECM controlled functions. (I'm old-school as are you.)

However, starting with a trouble code will at least allow us to make some educated guesses in regards to your Fiero's issues.
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

A shop (except for a very few run by members here) is the last place any of us want to see someone take their Fiero to. We'd rather see it gets fixed correctly, at minimal cost.

Our high school auto shop motto was "you drive em in, we push em out".
Kit
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The high idle could be a vacuum leak. As you noticed when you had it apart, there are quite a few vac lines going to a lot of places. First thing though is to get the trouble code(s) and report back
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2015 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riddick85:

The high idle could be a vacuum leak. As you noticed when you had it apart, there are quite a few vac lines going to a lot of places.

EVERYBODY with "impossible to find" high idle - check your Charcoal Vapor Canister!

V6 vacuum lines.

Just fixed a friend's 88 V6 that had a high idle (about 1800rpm) I checked all the vacuum lines.
Found a leak in the Tee under the MAP sensor. Fixed that and idle came down a bit - was now 1500rpm.
I was now sure I had no leaks anywhere else (engine had Dickman's stainless steel vacuum lines).

Removed the hoses to the Charcoal Vapor Canister at "purge" fitting end and capped the fitting. BIG difference.
Removed the hoses at the Canister end and tested the lines with vaccum pump - they held vaccum OK.
So Canister had faulty Purge Valve. Replaced canister and idle came down to normal. Drives better too!

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 06-04-2015).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page