Turn signal problem? by Stickshift17
Started on: 05-29-2015 01:36 AM
Replies: 6 (1360 views)
Last post by: 84fiero123 on 05-29-2015 08:35 PM
Stickshift17

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stickshift17Send a Private Message to Stickshift17Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, my $300 84 Fiero project and daily driver is doing a great job of making me feel pretty stupid again,.. tonight, I have replaced like 7 to 9 of the 17 exterior signals bulbs running lights and rear end lights and after a ton of cleaning fighting and lot a of bulbs I finally have a full set of working brake lights and When I turn my right turn signal on it actually blinks on and off on it's own for once! However the left side.... will not.. now a cording to the dash, on hazards my Right and left sides are both flashing, but the left front side marker and front most amber/yellow orange square turn lamp under the left headlight in the bumper are both on, but unlike the other side, neither front left corner turn lamps are blinking, when the right frontmost turn lamp blinks the right side marker turns off and vice versa, so on hazards the blink in patten as a posed to blinking on and off together like any other car lol, Idk if that's really a problem but I'm taking it as a sign, seems how my old s10 did the same thing till I fixed a Broken wire and now everything blinks simultaneously..

So in a nutshell my left fring turn lamp AND side marker won't blink when on turn signal or hazards but all my other lights are working accordingly... what the heck do I do!? What sounds like the problem? I'm at the end of my rope because the wires seem to be fine, grounds are good, the bulbs are new, and I don't know a dang thing about relays and stuff lol, and they stay on ,they just don't blink like the other side the dash turns the signal on when I select left and it sticks on?? Are their R and L relays?? HELP ME LOL. Am I missing something obvious? Lo

[This message has been edited by Stickshift17 (edited 05-29-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's an unusual wiring setup....that has stumped many of us at one time or another.

http://home.comcast.net/~fierocave/sneakpath.htm

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-29-2015).]

Stickshift17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stickshift17Send a Private Message to Stickshift17Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks you, however I sorta have a hunch that it may possibly be my turn signal switch itself. My wiper's only work on high and wash, but it never sprays and you have to hold it down, also if you turn the wipers off they stop wherever they were last.. Idk if this really has anything to do with my switch and blinkers because it does select the left and right it just won'the blink on left, it sticks..

Thoughts?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The way the blinkers work is thermal, you need a certain level of volts/amps to get the circuit to click....so if there is a bad spot limiting the flow of electrons, the clicker box gets stuck. That bad spot could be anywhere, so if you have a known problem....fix that and see what else takes care of itself.
Stickshift17

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stickshift17Send a Private Message to Stickshift17Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, I couldn't make too much sense out of the link you sent me I apologize lol I know basic wiring and switches, that's about it but I'm determined to fix this issue, so thanks for the help
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note that some aftermarket flasher cans will blink even w/ bulbs/wiring problems.
Tridon and Blazer electronic ones are like this.
OE and Tridon have Thermal flashers that won't blink w/o enough bulb load.

Switch turns on whatever then likely switch is good.

Pull out front bulb and watch...
the socket and/or wire won't give good ground then both filament will be on.
The turn light on dash can turn on w/ park lights on for bad ground in front.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pull the bulb out and check it first to make sure its good, then with a test light check the fingers in the socket to make sure they are still there. They have a habit of wearing out or disappearing from the face of the earth if the car has been sitting for any length of time. make sure you are getting juice to the little fingers first, if they are still there and put a test light one end on one set of fingers and the clip on a paper clip and use that as a connection for the other, then try the turn signal. Sounds like you have a bad bulb if it isn't lighting or the wires or connector fingers are all corroded. or a combo of all of the above.

After re reading your post make sure someone didn't mass ground the front ground wires, mine did something similar after we swapped the frt end after a heavy hit. My buddy wired all the grounds on the drivers side of the frt compartment and that happened for some reason they need to be grounded individually in different places.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-29-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock