Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3800 series 2 upgrade to murci kit car. heat issues? PLEASE GIVE ADVICE!

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 series 2 upgrade to murci kit car. heat issues? PLEASE GIVE ADVICE! by dthami22
Started on: 05-27-2015 10:10 AM
Replies: 6 (174 views)
Last post by: Neils88 on 05-27-2015 08:50 PM
dthami22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dthami22Send a Private Message to dthami22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hello, i recently had a brand new rebuilt supercharged 3800 series 2 installed into a murci kit car. the overall coolant temp runs lower than the fiero engine. however, the engine compartment is really hot. the top of the hood is extremely hot to the touch and i'm afraid it could damage the fiberglass body. would it be okay to put a cover over the engine that has a heat shield on the bottom side? would that cause more heat to stay on the engine and cause damage? also, the front coolant pulling fan blowing the air on the trunk lid makes the trunk lid very warm to the touch. i'm new to the fiero engine upgrades so before i drive the car any distance, i want advice and to get things sorted out so i don't do any damage to the engine or car caused by heat. thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could insulate the underside of the lid.

I'm curuious about all the other aspects have pics of what this all looks like?
Can you let heat out the back? Fans? Alot of kits let it out the rear, some have mesh between the taillights, etc.

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 05-27-2015).]

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do you still have vents in the top of the engine compartment? Airflow when driving pushes the heat up and out of those vents. You may have to add some additional ventilation either in the lid out out the rear with fans.
dthami22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dthami22Send a Private Message to dthami22Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
does the 3800 put out more heat than the 2.8?

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without knowing how hot things are actually getting I suppose the heat you feel could not be out of the ordinary?
Fiberglass can take alot of heat, its even in some mufflers.
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wrap the exhaust with header wrap (at least the headers/pipes down to the cat). That's where all the heat comes from.
HTH,
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since you have a Murci kit car, are the "bat wings" properly functional? Even in the down position, they should allow a fair bit of air flow through the engine bay and then out through the rear vents below the tail lights. (I'm assuming that all vents on the car have actually holes, and aren't just panels painted black with some wire mesh glued to them.)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock