2.8 cuts off/on quickly by fieromatty
Started on: 05-26-2015 04:06 AM
Replies: 14 (153 views)
Last post by: fieromatty on 05-29-2015 05:05 PM
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 2.8 1987 with a 3 speed auto.
Egr delete / chip tuned.

So I believe my issue to be fuel related. The problems start with my haunting idle that I have. It usually fluctuates from about 700 rpm to 1000 rpm very steadily.

When I am driving... usually, If I have the car above 40 mphs and have my foot barely on the gas... It just cuts out for half a sec randomly... but frequently. You could reproduce the feeling if you just punch the gas and release quickly in our little fieros. If I open the throttle and step on, it doesn't stumble or cut out. This only happens with my foot is barely on the gas.

Some days the haunting idle and car cutting out event barely happens. Other days its so noticeable that I don't even want to drive it. I think this is gas related, but I just replaced the fuel pump (and fuel filter) about 8 months ago... I would hope its not bad again. If it is, its under warranty so it won't cost me a dime... well it will cost me my time.

I have a ton of new parts in the car.
New distrib
New Coil
New Engine
New Oil Pump.
New Batter cables.
New Stater Solinoid.
New plugs and wires.
New Map
New IAC
A bunch of new connectors.

I thought the issue might be a grounding issue so I added 2 new grounding straps and replaced the battery cables and starter solenoid for safe measure. I would be surprised if it was anything but fuel. What do you guys think?

Thanks for looking.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

TPS ?
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 04:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how old the TPS is. I haven't replaced it.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did the new distributer come with a new ICM? Because I had one do something similar, or was it the pickup coil? I forget, maybe you shouldn't listen to me.

And always test everything before replacing anything, there are tests that can be done that will save you just throwing parts at a problem, that I am sure of.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-26-2015).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the problem at steady speed but not while accelerating, look for bad electrical contacts. TPS connector might be crusty....or one of the ICM connectors.

Is it worse on rainy days?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-26-2015).]

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

If you have the problem at steady speed but not while accelerating, look for bad electrical contacts. TPS connector might be crusty....or one of the ICM connectors.

Is it worse on rainy days?

I can't really put a rhyme or rythem to it. It has been going on for months. Even before I did my engine swap, the last motor was doing the same thing. Ill break out my volt meter and check out the TPS I guess.

Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the same issue of cutting out while driving. And it was my TPS. If i jiggled the connector at idle it would cut out. I have a barely used TPS if you want it. I also have a barely used IAC.
$35 for both plus shipping. It solved my cutting out problem and my crazy idling problem and then I pulled the motor anyway to do a 3800sc swap.

If your like to buy it from me please PM me.
Thanks
Louis

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"My mind spins like helicopter blades." -G. Rossdale
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

I had the same issue of cutting out while driving. And it was my TPS. If i jiggled the connector at idle it would cut out. I have a barely used TPS if you want it. I also have a barely used IAC.
$35 for both plus shipping. It solved my cutting out problem and my crazy idling problem and then I pulled the motor anyway to do a 3800sc swap.

If your like to buy it from me please PM me.
Thanks
Louis

Thanks but I already have a new IAC... so I would just need a TPS. Which I can get cheaply.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, the TPS was the issue I had that was causing the cutting out. It was $60 at autozone.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lou and Blue:

Ok, the TPS was the issue I had that was causing the cutting out. It was $60 at autozone.

Dang....

Rockauto has them on closeout for 19 bucks.
Lou and Blue

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow I just saw that! I wanted it right away. The price we pay for convenience.

Try that though. I think it will solve the cutting out.

------------------
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yea, I wonder how much we pay a year for a 'convenience'. I had to restrain myself from paying for 2 day shipping.

I picked up new struts all the way around... 180 bucks for fronts and backs with a TPS... Good deal.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like it was the TPS. Thanks for the help guys.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

Looks like it was the TPS.

Do I get a prize?

It was an easy guess for me as my Formula started "bucking" a few days ago, and a stray TPS that I had sitting on the shelf fixed it right up.

Originally posted by Patrick:

TPS ?

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 05:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Do I get a prize?

It was an easy guess for me as my Formula started "bucking" a few days ago, and a stray TPS that I had sitting on the shelf fixed it right up.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

TPS ?

[/QUOTE]

Lol, yea it is a very annoying problem. I have been dealing with this bucking issue since December. Glad rockauto had the discount part.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock