Help! Removing the tilt lever and cruse wire by Rexgirl
Started on: 05-26-2015 03:45 AM
Replies: 5 (181 views)
Last post by: Rexgirl on 05-29-2015 03:52 AM
Rexgirl

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I am doing the loose steering column repair thing, and wondering if there are any tips that will help get my really tight tilt release lever out without badly scraping it up (mine isn't responding to a 5 inch vice grip). Is it possible to access the lever right next to where it enters the threaded hole by pulling the plastic lever cover out to the left after pulling the turn signal cover (next to the steering wheel) rearward?
Also, what is the best way to pull out the cruse control wire to give more slack? Thanks !
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 04:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Jazzman made a Great writeup about this. I don't think he is a member here anymore if I remember right. I think he got the boot.

You can check out his writeup here.

Inside the GM tilt Column
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 05:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. Yes, that was a helpful article but sadly didn't really address the two steps I've asked about. However, this picture of his tilt lever (posted below) shows a little of what I asked in my first question. I'm not even sure what tool he even used to grab the tilt lever in such a tight opening. I tried a 5 inch vice grip since there isn't much room in this area.

Any ideas would be welcome.
flimbob

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 06:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for flimbobSend a Private Message to flimbobEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have done this twice on 2 different Fieros and never removed the tilt lever that I can recall. Just need to remove the tilt pivots. Jazzman's document completely disassembles/assembles the column. Every step is not needed to tighten the 4 bolts.

In this article, you can see the tilt pivot being removed with a screw and vice grips. you can clearly see the tilt lever in place.
http://fieros.de/en/articles/steering.html
waynrayn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2015 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for waynraynSend a Private Message to waynraynEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Rexgirl:

Don't know if you finished this project already, but flimbob is right. I found out that you actually don't need to remove the tilt lever. You can get the tilt lever shroud out of the way by dangling it off the tilt lever. The tilt lever and casing with the pivot pin holes then all come off together, so you can get at the four bolts behind. It takes a bit of wrangling, but it's better than removing the whole steering column (which I regrettably did). I've included a picture posted in my string (you commented there a few days ago). This is after I tightened the four torx screws, and put the casing back on. The link is here:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/135606.html

I have one last minor additional question, which you may be able to answer.

Regards,

waynrayn
Rexgirl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2015 03:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RexgirlSend a Private Message to RexgirlEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
hi waynrayn, Yes, I just finished today, and the steering feels much better now ::happy smile::.
After putting loctite on the bolt threads and reassembling, I wondered, why not use star or split lock washers instead of loctite? Does anyone know?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock