Transmission Fluid Leak? by WhoDey
Started on: 05-25-2015 10:49 PM
Replies: 8 (1035 views)
Last post by: 2.5 on 05-26-2015 05:18 PM
WhoDey

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhoDeySend a Private Message to WhoDeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently noticed some type of fluid leaking on my 85 GT 2.8. I notice it more on longer drives. I put a piece of cardboard under the engine area and I think I've narrowed it down to the transmission leaking or something leaking and running down off the trans. It's leaking off the bottom of the trans from what I can see. I haven't been under the car yet. Figured I would toss it out here to see if anyone has had a similar leak before I go on the hunt. On longer drives it ends up dropping 3 to 4 quarter sized drops. I'm almost certain It's not oil. It doesn't look, feel or smell like oil. It's very dark, almost black. Possible brake fluid??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 04:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would highly doubt its brake fluid. The brake line hugs the wall of the engine bay.

Is the car an auto or manual?

If its an auto, I would check the Transmission cooler lines on the driver side of the engine bay. Common place for a leak in my experience. Transmission fluid should be reddish/pink unless its never been changed or the last person that changed it fallowed GM's recommendation on changing the transmission fluid.

GM originally loaded the car with normal engine oil in the transmission from the factory. It is common practice now to use syncromesh. It's expensive, but you will never have to replace it again.

If I was you, I would jack up the back of the car, put it on engine stands... start it and watch for leaks. Most leaks won't 'leak' until the engine is running and pressure is being created.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Smell it, the drops. Trany fluid is red not almost black unless you have fried the clutches in the trany. brake fluid is clear, in the beginning but will turn black over time if not properly flushed once in a while, like the last 25 years. oil is clear but turns black after long use.

If the fluid smells like burnt almonds it is burnt trany fluid. If it smells like burnt oil it is oil. can't remember what bad brake fluid smells like.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

brake fluid is clear, in the beginning but will turn black over time if not properly flushed once in a while, like the last 25 years. oil is clear but turns black after long use.

Please tell me where you get brake fluid that last 25 years.

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it's a stick, I have the same problem. The fluid is seeping out between the case halves. Temporary fix is clean the bottom of the case and run a bead of silicone at the seam. Next clutch job I can split the case and reseal it right.
WhoDey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhoDeySend a Private Message to WhoDeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it is a 4 sp manual.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have the same problem. When you get under the car clean around the case seam and let it set over night. Mine is at the bottom of the 2 case halves. The sealant between the case halves has failed. The right fix is to pull the trans, split and reseal. In my case I went with a temp patch with the silicone until I need to pull it for a clutch.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 03:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Axle seal? Check where the axles come out of the tranny. Look for wetness. Happened on my 4 speed. Had a shop replace it. It was cheap and easy. Just make sure they use the proper fluid to refill.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 05-26-2015).]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Manual trans fluid shouldnt be very dark though.
Could be motor oil running down from the distributor o ring.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock