alternator - I'm afraid to ask by jwalker
Started on: 05-25-2015 05:11 PM
Replies: 10 (348 views)
Last post by: jwalker on 06-06-2015 10:52 AM
jwalker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwalkerSend a Private Message to jwalkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot to disconnect the battery while installing the alternator and it sparked, now my volt gage is not where it should be. Isn't there a resistor or capacitor or diode i may have blown?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did it spark against the alt, or spark on the engine/frame?
jwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwalkerSend a Private Message to jwalkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Against the alt. I was trying to connect the two lead connector
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If it hit the case it could have fried a diode.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a fusible link at the power distribution block right under C500. Remember that this also is live all the time! The fusible link that runs into the engine harness is the suspected one.

Take a test light and see if you have power at the power distribution post. You should. Check again at the output terminal of the alternator (engine off). If you had power at the posts but not at the alternator the fusible link is out.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 05-25-2015).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 09:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forgot the link, mine is wired a little different. Bet that's the problem.
jwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2015 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jwalkerSend a Private Message to jwalkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got power at both.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can get a volt meter, check the out put at the alt, see if your getting 13-14 volts. If you are it's ok, if you only get 11-12 you fried the alt.
jwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwalkerSend a Private Message to jwalkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Which leads do i tap to take measurment?

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can check at the battery terminals while running and it shoud be 14.3 volts.
jwalker

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-06-2015 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jwalkerSend a Private Message to jwalkerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As it turns out, I had bent the contacts while trying to connect. So the spark I experienced appears to have not done any damage. The bad part is after replacing the belt with an OEM one, it still slips. I have to rev it to get my volt gage where it should be. I know I should install a belt tensioner but I'm just trying to fix these small annoyances so I can sale it good working condition.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock