What is needed for a 3800sc swap? by PacNWFiero
Started on: 05-21-2015 11:51 PM
Replies: 7 (223 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 05-23-2015 07:32 PM
PacNWFiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PacNWFieroSend a Private Message to PacNWFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Everyone!

I am very curious about the potential of a 3800sc build, and have been reading up about it for a while. I am by no means a master mechanic or Fiero wizard, so I do not know everything that is needed to complete a swap. I have the following experience:

-I've swapped out my friend's v8 on his ram truck for another of the same kind of v8 (the oil lines ruptured and drained, so the engine was junked)
-I've been going to a local mechanic group for a couple months, and have a fairly good grasp on the various mechanisms within a car

I am not entirely sure of all the needed materials, time, money, etc.

I am a high school student, so time and money are very large variables for me. A big question is could I do the swap in a summer?

Thanks for your help!

------------------
'88 Formula T-Tops

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3800SC is a good swap for the Fiero. I personally love it.

It will require some skill but I was suprised it was not that difficult.

First, you need to find a good working engine. Once you transplant you dont want to try and separate original engine problems from ones that you may have created durring the swap. Mainly these would be electrical. So a proven working engine is best.

Second, you can save some money if you can weld. You will need to fabricate mounting brackets. They are not hard to do, but expense to purchase.

Third, Wiring. You will be to have the patient and time to wire the engine into the car. Again, this is not diffcult.

Fourth, even after purchasing the engine you will need cash on hand for other smaller parts. You may need alternator, or want to replace the water pump. Also, things like fuel lines, coolant lines, and a clucth (doing a five speed?).

It is a very doable project. You many even to consider the 3800, with no SC, since it is still quite potent an engine and more popular (less expensive) to find.

Hope this helps.
PacNWFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PacNWFieroSend a Private Message to PacNWFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks RotrexFiero and Monkeyman! I am planning on using the 5-speed from the Formula, as I do not want any extra hassles or expenses with a transmission swap. I've heard differing opinions on if the '88 5-speed is strong enough to handle the torque of the 3800. If I don't mod it at all, do you guys think the tranny would hold up?

Thanks!

------------------
'88 Formula T-Tops

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 02:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
"as I do not want any extra hassles or expenses with a transmission swap. " Consider, retaining the 5 speed you Already HAVE, you will STILL be shelling out money for a custom FLYWHEEL, & CLUTCH, as opposed to just bolting in the automatic that comes with the 3800. Keeping the 5 speed Cheaper, probably NOT. just saying.
zzzhuh

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zzzhuhSend a Private Message to zzzhuhEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PacNWFiero:

I've heard differing opinions on if the '88 5-speed is strong enough to handle the torque of the 3800. If I don't mod it at all, do you guys think the tranny would hold up?

Thanks!

If you rev it up to 4K and dump the clutch it will probably break right then and there. If you punch the gas while moving and then shift normally you will be just fine. I couldn't disagree more with Lou6t4GTO, being able to shift yourself has excitement and makes the driving experience way better. Try driving a stock auto vs driving a stock manual. It is night and day in excitement and enjoyment.

[This message has been edited by zzzhuh (edited 05-22-2015).]

ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are in the greater Puget Sound Area the Jet City Fiero Club meets the second Wednesday of the month at the Triple X Root Beer Drive-In in Issaquah.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2015 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PacNWFiero:

Thanks RotrexFiero and Monkeyman! I am planning on using the 5-speed from the Formula, as I do not want any extra hassles or expenses with a transmission swap. I've heard differing opinions on if the '88 5-speed is strong enough to handle the torque of the 3800. If I don't mod it at all, do you guys think the tranny would hold up?

Thanks!

If you decide to keep the 5 speed, just bear in mind that most of these boxes are old, worn and slow shifting. The GETRAG was designed for 200 ft lbs of torque new. An old high mileage box won't meet that spec. but lots of guys seem to like them. I personally recommend going with the automatic transmission that GM designed especially for the 3800. Then you will have a matching powertrain package ready to take on full throttle runs. Driving a stick may be fun but I personally know a few guys here that have blown the Getrag cases apart.
If you are set on the 5 speed, just drive conservatively. If you keep the stick you retain the 5 speed trans mounts, and axles for the swap but you will need a new clutch and flywheel. If you go auto you will need new mounts and custom axles. I've done both swaps and the auto is more work but comes out costing about $100 less even with pre-fab mounts/brackets.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-23-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock