FRONT COMPARTMENT LIGHT by SGT88
Started on: 05-19-2015 11:45 PM
Replies: 14 (476 views)
Last post by: 88FieroGT TTops on 05-21-2015 09:54 PM
SGT88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SGT88Send a Private Message to SGT88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 GT and I can't find the light in the front compartment! The Service Manual says they have one. Was it an option or did they ever put a light there?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

CavScout

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 05:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CavScoutSend a Private Message to CavScoutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

The parking lights have to be on for this light to work.

I had no idea! Learn something new everyday...
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A lot of theories have been written, but here is my favorite:

the front compartment light was part of the sunroof option. If you need to go get your sunroof in the dark, you can find it.....

I know there are exceptions, but people have changed roofs on their cars too, so after 25 years we have all sorts of odd combinations.

Just a Guess! I have a solid top Formula with no light.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-20-2015).]

lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

A lot of theories have been written, but here is my favorite:

the front compartment light was part of the sunroof option. If you need to go get your sunroof in the dark, you can find it.....

Interesting theory. Wouldn't it perhaps be at least equally important to see your spare tire, though?

Can someone with the light post a picture of its location? I'm wondering if my car has one and the bulb has just been burned out for 20+ years

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Can someone with the light post a picture of its location? I'm wondering if my car has one and the bulb has just been burned out for 20+ years

Posted by fierohoho in another thread:

"A" is where I found the bulb holder taped, the white tape is still visible.

"B" is one of the two screws that hold the light bracket on.

"C" is bulb socket and attached wires.

"D" is the light bracket

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Interesting theory. Wouldn't it perhaps be at least equally important to see your spare tire, though?

If you are trying to make sense.....YES
If you are trying to make money......NO

The sunroof was an expensive money maker. What I don't get is were there 2 wiring harness setups? That costs money too.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
The sunroof was an expensive money maker. What I don't get is were there 2 wiring harness setups? That costs money too.
No, Many cars have "Sun Roof" (Vista Vent) have nothing to do w/ the light.

Not sure exactly what RPO have the light installed. Some say "light group" in //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/135508.html

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-20-2015).]

Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do those of you that don't have a light mounted in the front, have a light in the rear trunk? My 88gt has them both, I had a 88 Formula that didn't have a rear trunk light, not sure about the front.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

SGT88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SGT88Send a Private Message to SGT88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 GT 5 speed with rear light but no front compartment light (or switch etc). I'll stop searching!!!
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps by 88 they were using up the wire harnesses that were on hand, and did not order any new ones. We would need to compare VINs to see if that was true.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our 88 didn't have the bulb/socket/switch but had the connector in the harness. Ours is also a late production car and go with the idea that they were just running out of parts so it was never installed.

I did add it several years ago, but in all honestly never really saw and need for it (or used it).
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
VIN does not show most options. You need access to GM VIN database that you don't have to get Build Sheet etc.
Read RPO label.

Digging thru RPO data...
TR9 Lamp group, courtesy consists of <-- From http://www.fierostuff.com/RPOcodes.html underline for a reason below...
U25 Rear compartment lamp <-- trunk light
U29 Instrument panel, courtesy <-- I think the "foot" lights

You find all of them and others on a car.
Front compartment light could be in U25 or another RPO.

Note that:
TR9 is could be same as MX1 for auto trans, MM5 for 5 speed stick, and others.
MX1 is a "set" of MD9 (TH152c) and 1 Trans Ratio Code: F16, F17, F62, F75, FP3, FW2, FW9, F77, F79, or GX3 (Ratios covered in my Cave, Gear Ratio)
TR9 might have some lights and/or is a set made up of U25 U29 and maybe others.

Other RPO lists TR9 is:
Lighting, auxiliary
Premium Lighting Package
LAMP GROUP
LAMP GROUP, COURTESY LP GRP

Also See
http://www.thirdgen.org/for...rpo.html#post3277833
http://www.thirdgen.org/for...ion.html#post5692190
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 86 no sunroof, the light was not mounted and the wiring wrapped up---went to junkyard got the mount a bulb and it worked.
my 88 no sunroof T-Tops, no light, no wires NO SWITCH--even my cowl has no hole for the switch--but I do have a trunk light
according to the t-top registry my car left the factory 6-28-88
------------------
Pat Jones

[This message has been edited by 88FieroGT TTops (edited 05-21-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay