Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Any ideas for these crazy wheel locks? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Any ideas for these crazy wheel locks? by Slammed
Started on: 05-18-2015 07:49 PM
Replies: 46 (1226 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 05-25-2015 09:50 AM
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

...most people never put those locks on with an impact gun so they are usually just hand tight

The proper way to put them on is with a torque wrench... along with the rest of the lug nuts. Is this a forgotten procedure?
IP: Logged
1fast2m4

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my own road cars I just make them "Securely snug" with the impcact.

On the race cars we use Torque sticks

They are about $35 ea. on ebay

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

[This message has been edited by 1fast2m4 (edited 05-24-2015).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1fast2m4:

On the race cars we use Torque sticks.

It's not too often I hear of a tool that I've never heard of before. I had to look it up!

How do these torque sticks work?

Don't know if I'd trust them (read the link), plus I don't use an impact gun, but it was interesting nevertheless to learn about 'em.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-24-2015).]

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It's not too often I hear of a tool that I've never heard of before. I had to look it up!

How do these torque sticks work?

Don't know if I'd trust them (read the link), plus I don't use an impact gun, but it was interesting nevertheless to learn about 'em.

Ever use an extension? basically the same thing, I believe but something like that, if you use an extension you lose torque power, the longer the more you lose, but with those they act like a torsion bar and flex I believe so the length doesn't change just the torque.

Steve
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2015 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 84fiero123:

Ever use an extension? basically the same thing, I believe but something like that, if you use an extension you lose torque power, the longer the more you lose, but with those they act like a torsion bar and flex I believe so the length doesn't change just the torque.

Steve

Except the ratchet extensions are much thicker and unlikely to impact your torqueing of any bolts on a Fiero. Torque sticks employ a very basic mechanical engineering principle. Combined with a impact wrench, they will give an accurate torque setting. However, if anyone picks one up and uses them with a regular ratchet or torque wrench, they may as will be tossed in the garbage (assuming they are used passed their calibrated torque limit)
Fastfrog007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastfrog007Send a Private Message to Fastfrog007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Looks just like the original on my 1984 SE. They might not send a wrench though; kind of defeats the security purpose... They will if you have the registration card. http://shop.mcgard.com/

Who steals 84 Fiero wheels? HAHAHA
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2015 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've laughed about this over the years. NOBODY! Who even wants 14" tires anymore? Lol! Maybe only Fiero owners...
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock