Reviving a parked Fiero by DJvonRapp
Started on: 05-18-2015 02:58 PM
Replies: 8 (340 views)
Last post by: viperine on 05-19-2015 01:57 AM
DJvonRapp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJvonRappSend a Private Message to DJvonRappEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have an 86 GT, with a 3.4L push-rod swap that I did myself, that's been parked for a couple years, and not started or driven regularly. I'm trying to gather a list of things that I need to replace to get it running and driving again. Here's my list. What am I missing? And some are things that are broken due to other reasons..

1. Drain Gas - Is there an easy way to do this without dropping the tank? Like having the fuel pump suck it out?
2. Fuel Filter
3. Fuel Pump - I think this is why it never ran well, but I don't know for sure. If it's putting our the right pressure, can I assume it's good? Though if I'm dropping the tank anyways, may as well replace it too. It can't look pretty in there after being parked for so long.
4. Engine Oil and filter
5. Transmission Fluid
6. Coolant???
7. Clutch Fluid???
8. Brake Fluid???
9. Headlight Motors and Relays
10. Headliner is loose around the sunroof
11. Battery
12. Brake Calipers??? Something is stuck as I can't roll it. Could be e-beak?
13. Maybe tires.. though the tread is still good.
14. Undo tail-light mods.
15. Un-lower front & alignment.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing while reviving a parked car? Is there anything here I can skip? The engine oil, transmission fluid and coolant were brand new, maybe 100 miles total on them..

Thanks,
- Jan

------------------
-- If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable. --
-- '86 GT, 4speed, Yellow ..... 3.4L --

[This message has been edited by DJvonRapp (edited 05-18-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
outside storage? were the spark plugs in it?
You should undo the battery cables and wire brush the connections.
You can remove the fuel filter and run the fuel pump at the ALDL connector.
A look in the fuel tank would be good, esp. if the stuff that comes out smells funny.
Oil in the cylinders would not hurt. Turn the engine over by hand.
Check the age of the tires using the date code on the sidewall....even if they look good you should change 10 year old tires.
Don't be in a hurry to start it....

If you parked it with the e-brake on, the pads may be stuck to the rotors.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-18-2015).]

DJvonRapp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DJvonRappSend a Private Message to DJvonRappEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply.

Outside storage, yes, and yea the dew wipes and such will need to be replaced at some point here too, but I kept it washed and clean-ish in general. The spark plugs were in it, the battery was out.

That's a good thought about draining the fuel from the fuel filter. I had been thinking about the fuel rail area, but that's better. And I think I may have added some Sta-Bil, but I could be wrong.. I know I thought about adding some, but the thought probably doesn't count in this case. I do know the fuel tank was off, and was rinsed out a few months before it was parked.

Oil in the cylinders is a good thought too. And yea, the tires are probably about 10-15 years old at this point. And yea, the e-break.. that's probably what's going on then. I'll soak them in brake cleaner and try to gently pry them apart.

And yea, I'm not in a hurry to start it. I want to do it right. This is a toy and not a DD, so I'm not in a real hurry.

[This message has been edited by DJvonRapp (edited 05-18-2015).]

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 05:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clean out all the debris out from under the front hood. Especially leaves if you have any. Common place to start an electrical fire.
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple as in two? If it's only two just change the oil and put some gas in it

Pull out your blower resistor pack up front and vacuum out the duct.

I've had numerous cars sit for 5+ years that ran and drove great after new gas and oil

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine had sat for 10yrs in a warehouse. When I got it the fuel pump didn't work. When I dropped the tank I found the hose inside was black goo laying on the bottom of the tank. Replaced the pump and it fired right up and ran great. However all the hydraulics in the brakes and clutch were shot.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Mine had sat for 10yrs in a warehouse. When I got it the fuel pump didn't work. When I dropped the tank I found the hose inside was black goo laying on the bottom of the tank. Replaced the pump and it fired right up and ran great. However all the hydraulics in the brakes and clutch were shot.

Word for word...exact same for me...
mrsp33dy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 10:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrsp33dySend a Private Message to mrsp33dyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

I had the same exact thing happen to my fiero that sat for like 15 years before I saved her. However the gas also formed this terrible rust-like coating on the inside of the fuel tank. But the rust-like coating wasn't just rust. it was hard and came out as reddish-grey chunks. the chunks were about the size and thickness of a nickle. I wasted wayyy too much time trying to clean that crap out myself. I probably treated it and flushed it 5 times before I broke down and took it to a shop.The shop had it for over a month while they tried to clean it too with no luck. They eventually called me and asked permission to take out the plastic reservoir so they could coat the inside of the tank with some kind of sealer. Since then I have had no fuel delivery issue. however I have also never heard of anyone else having so much trouble with a fuel tank. I still wonder to this day what those grey and red chunks were made up of, since i'm pretty sure gas doesn't solidify. I conclude that Satan himself must have put them there, and kept putting more in everytime i thought i had gotten them all out.

[This message has been edited by mrsp33dy (edited 05-18-2015).]

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dead mice. Misplaced insulation from aforementioned dead mice. Mine were all in the center console glove box area, as well as the evaporator core. Extra stock of little tree air fresheners, and a bottle of automotive specific air deodorizer (for the HVAC system) helped. Total lubrication of brakes and calipers is peace of mind, but expect e-brake operation to likely fail? Poor rear caliper design. My fiero experience is very limited, but with small block Chevy motors, priming the engine by pulling the distributor and using a drill-spun primer is a great measure, if done with new oil and a good Rislone additive flush for the first start-up. High zinc is a commonly forgotten pushrod engine additive. Perhaps Rislone flush for a few warmups to remove oil sludge in conjunction with cheap oil, to be followed up with my favorite, Brad-penn oil as the high zinc permanent oil. I see this as all very worthy preventative measures, but again, this is my first fiero, first v6 with current engine knowledge. My last barn find was an 18,000 mile '84 Buick century with one owner who only used it for church and groceries. I wiped out a camshaft lobe and never forgave myself. Best of luck!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock