Headlight closing delay by Tom1
Started on: 05-18-2015 11:23 AM
Replies: 7 (246 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 05-19-2015 01:18 PM
Tom1

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom1Send a Private Message to Tom1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero (88 GT) driving is normally during the day but yesterday I happened to be driving the car at dusk and used the headlights. The headlight doors did not immediately close when I turned off the headlights but did close after a few seconds. Is this normal? If not, do I need to lubricate something?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No... is not normal.

Module or more likely wires to it or HL switch have issues.
Make sure Parking/Tail lights work... Down for HL uses same taillight fuse.

Lube won't help this. Module Will kill power to motor(s) for any binding problem.
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

FieroCat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroCatSend a Private Message to FieroCatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On occasion my left light will go up instantly, followed by the passenger light about 5 seconds later. Most of the time they go up simultaneously so it hasn't been a major issue, but yeah probably the module is what's causing the delay.

------------------
My Fiero: 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT, V6, 4-speed manual

Tom1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom1Send a Private Message to Tom1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies. I opened the hood and turned on the lights. They popped right up and went down immediately when I turned the lights off. It makes me think something on the hood door might be interfering. Appreciate your thoughts.

Tom
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom1:

Thanks for the replies. I opened the hood and turned on the lights. They popped right up and went down immediately when I turned the lights off. It makes me think something on the hood door might be interfering. Appreciate your thoughts.

Tom

Not necessarily ... The doors on the hood have some pretty heavy springs on them to keep them from popping up on the highway. The motors have to combat them to open. Usually if there is something wrong with the door or motor, you get a nasty sound coming it as it pry's open. You could still have something else going on.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tom1:

Maybe motor "dowels" are bad.
Motors will try to open/close but bad dowels can cause this. Can work when hood is open because Door springs adds allot of load to open or close.
Tom1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom1Send a Private Message to Tom1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the "dowells" and how do I check them? Again, I appreciate your suggestions. None of this is covered in the Fiero Service Manual or in the Haynes Repair Manual. Does turning the manual actuator screw have any effect on electric operation?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They are called Dowells, Bushings, Rollers, Lots of names....but they act like a clutch, transferring power from motor to gear.

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=32&products_id=231

edit: Manuals are written to tell the consumer that it's too complicated for him, and he needs to take the car to a GM dealer.....

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-19-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock