Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How do you change oil pan gasket on 3800?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How do you change oil pan gasket on 3800? by Monkeyman
Started on: 05-17-2015 02:56 AM
Replies: 5 (630 views)
Last post by: nocuttt on 05-22-2015 12:02 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'87 GT with 3800 (n/a) from an '00 Bonneville w/5 speed Getrag. The oil pan gasket is leaking. What needs to be done to replace it? I can't do it myself and there aren't many (if any) mechanics in town who have ever worked on a Fiero let alone one that has worked on a Fiero with a 3800. I have to be able to tell them how to do it. What kind of expense is generally involved in something like this?

I'm hoping the entire cradle doesn't have to be dropped but one tech (I'd hate to call him a mechanic) said that he thought the cradle had to be dropped and the motor/tranny separated. If that's the case, it sounds expensive and probably more money than I've got.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Slammed

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlammedSend a Private Message to SlammedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on the mounts used you might need to loosen a couple bolts and raise the engine a bit. It can be done in the car no problem.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can you be a bit more specific? I have a dogbone if that helps any.
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure it even has a gasket at all. Lots of cars now dont. My Sebring did not have an oil pan or valve cover gasket...all RTV. I bought it new. Ive even run across cars with no exhaust manifold gaskets...just metal to metal.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 05-18-2015).]

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As I recall it is a 1 piece 1/4" thick (sort of gasket) with a "bead" around the edge that can get re-used. I "Think" all that is needed is for the gasket and sealing surface to be thoroughly CLEANED and a new "bead of sealer" put on each side. pretty sure the engine only has to come loose from a the mounts, definitely does NOT have to come out or drop the cradle.
nocuttt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2015 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nocutttSend a Private Message to nocutttEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

'87 GT with 3800 (n/a) from an '00 Bonneville w/5 speed Getrag. The oil pan gasket is leaking. What needs to be done to replace it? I can't do it myself and there aren't many (if any) mechanics in town who have ever worked on a Fiero let alone one that has worked on a Fiero with a 3800. I have to be able to tell them how to do it. What kind of expense is generally involved in something like this?

I'm hoping the entire cradle doesn't have to be dropped but one tech (I'd hate to call him a mechanic) said that he thought the cradle had to be dropped and the motor/tranny separated. If that's the case, it sounds expensive and probably more money than I've got.

NO gasket except windage tray with a lining of 'gasket goop'...determine where it is leaking from and see if it is from loose bolts. In any event, there are about 20 bolts (I think) to remove to get this done; hopefully u don't ahve stuff in the way...other than that you can do the work yourself as already mentioned

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock