Started on: 05-16-2015 08:53 PM
Replies: 19 (1008 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-20-2015 12:36 PM
doublec4

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looking for the wiring diagram for the front under hood light.

I checked my haynes manual and couldn't find any mention of it. It was working up until recently. Switch is still good, not seized, bulb is fine. Just won't come on. I checked all fuses under the dash (not sure if it is tied into one of those) and they are all good. All other lights are working fine. Not sure where to look next?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We have a light under the hood???
Kevin87FieroGT

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe you need the parking lights on for the underhood light to work. Give it a try.
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With the parking lights on, rotate the switch top back & forth a little until the corrosion is worn off the contacts. It might work; I've done it successfully on a couple of cars.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

David Hambleton

1580 posts
Member since Nov 2012

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Maybe; my three do: //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/000113.html

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Missing on the 88.....all of them I think....but not on my Formula for sure.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Missing on the 88.....all of them I think....but not on my Formula for sure.

My '84 SE, '86 base Coupe and '88 Formula all have it, although the '86 doesn't have a bracket - the socket just hangs out of the wiring harness. They light up the spare tire area.

Look for a 194 push-in type bulb & socket between the HVAC motor & the windshield washer fluid tank.

I'm the original owner of the '84 & the 2nd owner of the '86 & '88. Knowing the owners; all are factory equipped.

Many might suspect the bulb is burnt out while in reality, it may never have been on. It's more likely that the switch contacts are corroded and/or the hood has never been opened when the parking light switch is on.
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Two 88 GT's.

1 GT has it, the other does not. Very strange.
doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I didn't realize we had a light up front until a few years ago. I believe it was an option with sunroof and t top cars.

Anyway, I do have my parking light switch turned on, I've also played around with the hood ajar switch and mine seems to be in really good shape. Doesn't seem to be doing the trick. All other lights are functioning fine so if it shares a fuse with other lights, something else should be out (if the fuse is out).

Any other suggestions?
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

I didn't realize we had a light up front until a few years ago. I believe it was an option with sunroof and t top cars.

both mine do not have sunroof.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by doublec4:

Anyway, I do have my parking light switch turned on, I've also played around with the hood ajar switch and mine seems to be in really good shape. Doesn't seem to be doing the trick. All other lights are functioning fine so if it shares a fuse with other lights, something else should be out (if the fuse is out).

Did you try another bulb? Maybe the socket itself is bad.

I checked all the Service Manuals and they have the same simple circuit - bulb is between light switch (park) and hood ajar switch (ground).

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-17-2015).]

PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 GT has it. On the bracket. No sunroof or t-tops. I have never found any reason why some do and some don't have it.
Shho13

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shho13Send a Private Message to Shho13Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was under the front hood the other day and saw a mini light bulb (similar to the interior bulbs) right by the blower motor resistor. I was curious about it too! Mine doesn't light either, although I really didn't look into it yet... Could just be the bulb for all I know.

------------------
"Discord"
Red 1988 GT under restoration!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

I was under the front hood the other day and saw a mini light bulb (similar to the interior bulbs) right by the blower motor resistor. I was curious about it too! Mine doesn't light either, although I really didn't look into it yet... Could just be the bulb for all I know.

Try opening the lid when the parking lights are turned on and twisting the white knob back & forth a little bit to wear the corrosion off the contacts.

doublec4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for doublec4Send a Private Message to doublec4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guess it was just corrosion. Yesterday I had twisted the top of the switch. Did it again today more aggressively and it works again. Thanks!
88FieroGT TTops

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FieroGT TTopsSend a Private Message to 88FieroGT TTopsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
my 86 had just the wiring--just hanging no bulb no bracket--got a bulb and bracket and worked ok, my 88 does NOT have any wiring or the switch on the cowl either BUT my 88 has T-Tops, since the tops store in the trunk, it has a trunk light---I think the light is provided for those that have a sunroof up front, and T-tops get the trunk light

------------------
Pat Jones

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The '84, '85 & '86 brochures show a ' Lamp Group' as an option for all models but don't specify what is included.

I bought the lamp group option on my (no sunroof) '84 SE for $36; there are lights in both trunks and footwells.

In my (factory sunroof) '86 Coupe I installed the rear trunk light wiring and light assembly, the footwell wiring and sockets into existing bracket holes and a bulb in the socket hanging from the wiring harness in the front trunk.

I don't have an '87 brochure, but the '88 brochure shows: 'Lamp group includes instrument panel courtesy lamp, rear compartment lamp' optional on the Coupe, standard on the Formula and GT. My (factory sunroof) Formula has lights in both trunks and footwells.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Shho13:

I was under the front hood the other day and saw a mini light bulb (similar to the interior bulbs) right by the blower motor resistor.

Where to look. Posted by fierohoho in another thread:

"A" is where I found the bulb holder taped, the white tape is still visible.

"B" is one of the two screws that hold the light bracket on.

"C" is bulb socket and attached wires.

"D" is the bracket

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 05-20-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hood switch was never meant for wet areas. Is the same switch for door jam switches for Dome and Foot lights.
Replace the switch but coat new part w/ brake grease etc that won't "wash off" easy and won't attack plastic.

Foot lights are part of 300 zone harnesses. 300 had at least 3-4 harnesses... PW only, Lights Only, Full power doors, etc.
Trunk light (and Cruise) is 400 zone. If car didn't have the light then I don't think you can easy add the light w/o adding wire.
(Zones See my Cave, Wire Reading)

GM had several wires build into all harness to keep inventory numbers low. Is why most of power trunk release are present on all 85-88 Fiero because is cheaper for GM to make all 200 zone the "same." (I think 4 200 harness for AT or MT cars, w/ or w/o AC.) To add that option you just plug in the trunk wire and other parts. See my Cave, Trunk Release

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock