Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Are Fiero's harder to come by now? Seems like there are fewer on Craigslist for sale.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are Fiero's harder to come by now? Seems like there are fewer on Craigslist for sale. by hcforde
Started on: 05-15-2015 11:40 PM
Replies: 13 (370 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 05-18-2015 12:11 AM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was browsing Craigslist just to see what was out there and it seemed to me that there were fewer cars being offered and even tho junkers that were being offered were much higher in price than last year and the year before when I(stocked up) got mine. This is what I paid for my Fieros in order of what is in my signature

The 1988 GT that I drove from Chicago to Austin 2 years ago was $2000, perfect body
The 1986 SE that I drove from Camarillo, CA to Austin 18 months ago was $1100 perfect body
Trailered a 1988 GT T-Top from Fresno to Austin about 16 months ago, it was only $550 perfect body, not run in about 4 years
Trailered the modified 1986 GT from El Paso to Austin, car cost $600, runs great, body has spraycan paint on it
Local 1986 SE 6CYL was only $500 Auto trans won't shift into gear
Trailered a 1987 GT from Dallas to Austin a year ago ant it was only $1000, (the owners wife became disinterested in her candy tangerine car)

In addition to these complete cars I tore down a 1988 SE roller that I bought for $100 and trailered the parts back with the T-Top
I was also given the body of a 1987 GT from a person in houston that was doing a kit-car,
Also out of houston I bought a 1987 GT complete car that did not run for $500

In addition to thees, there were numerous deals that I missed for being too slow on a decision, or I did not want the car for some reason, or could not afford it at the time even though it was a good deal. But now, it seems like the heyday of rescuing Fieros is over.

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - "Trailered" back from California going to be restored (in storage)
1986 GT, highly modified engine/exhaust, but slave/clutch issue - Trailered back from Las Cruces, NM Chop-top candidate (in storage)
1986 SE, bought locally, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate (in storage)
6-11-2014 acquisition - 1987 GT Tangerine/Silver

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First off, I have to say this topic is under the wrong forum. This should be under General Fiero Chat.

I do see a stead decline in the Fiero's available; however, you can still find one if you search for it.. There is at least 5 for sale at a given time in my state listed on Craigslist alone. None that I would considering buying, but I know I could find another one if something bad happened to the one I own.
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are several for sale on Craigslist in Central Florida also. Prices do seem to be climbing up a little, I don't see any running cars for $500 anymore There is a V6 SE automatic for $500 listed that hasn't run in years
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

First off, I have to say this topic is under the wrong forum. This should be under General Fiero Chat.

I do see a stead decline in the Fiero's available; however, you can still find one if you search for it.. There is at least 5 for sale at a given time in my state listed on Craigslist alone. None that I would considering buying, but I know I could find another one if something bad happened to the one I own.

Sorry, I thought I had put it under general chat.

I had just happened to look to see what was available on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago and there is nothing like it was 2 years ago, or even last year this time. I am not looking to buy I was just curious.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was bound to happen eventually; I've been seeing a lot in the junkyards of late.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2015 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just did a quick check of what is available in my area.

4 Fieros:

'84 - $3,500
'88 Formula - $4,250
'87 GT - $5,900
'86 SE - $6,200

They are all in average condition. Definitely no bargains up here !!!! About the same number for sale in the area as I would expect to see. Prices seem to fluctuate depending how badly or quickly they want to sell them....but usually overpriced compared to what they would cost across the border.

( http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ottawa/fiero/k0l1700185 )
Wittendorf1986

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 05:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wittendorf1986Send a Private Message to Wittendorf1986Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree I have seen an increase in past year or so here in michigan, I see alot of them that need alot of work from anywhere 1500 to 3000. I picked mine up for 600 two years ago but I put alot of work into mine. I have seen some of the parts people list on Craigslist want alot for example a used cracked dash for 300
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by css9450:

It was bound to happen eventually; I've been seeing a lot in the junkyards of late.

That is what I was wondering also, If they could not sell them on Craigslist they went to the crusher or a junkyard. The one I stripped in Calif. I took to a junk yard afterwards(but at least I stripped it) Unfortunately I could not get the engine cradle off. When I was going to Texas to California I put a listing on craigslist that I was going to be stripping it if anyone wanted parts. No takers.

Funny story, I was stripping the car in the back of auto parts supply stores so people that saw me would think I was working on the car, worked out well. THEN I went to a McDonalds for breakfast and decided to get a few more things in the back of this huge parking lot. Someone called the cops. I did not have a title for the car, but I did have paperwork from the California Highway Patrol stating it was a non-titled junker bound for the junk yard, otherwise the local in Fresno would have had a field day on me.

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - "Trailered" back from California going to be restored (in storage)
1986 GT, highly modified engine/exhaust, but slave/clutch issue - Trailered back from Las Cruces, NM Chop-top candidate (in storage)
1986 SE, bought locally, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate (in storage)
6-11-2014 acquisition - 1987 GT Tangerine/Silver

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Originally posted by Wittendorf1986:

I agree I have seen an increase in past year or so here in michigan, I see alot of them that need alot of work from anywhere 1500 to 3000. I picked mine up for 600 two years ago but I put alot of work into mine. I have seen some of the parts people list on Craigslist want alot for example a used cracked dash for 300

I am originally from Kalamazoo, left there in 1987 and brought my 1984 Fiero with me. GM bought the car back from me in 1991 and crushed it. They gave me over retail blue book and a voucher good for any GM car.
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

hcforde

543 posts
Member since Mar 2013

Originally posted by Neils88:

Just did a quick check of what is available in my area.

4 Fieros:

'84 - $3,500
'88 Formula - $4,250
'87 GT - $5,900
'86 SE - $6,200

They are all in average condition. Definitely no bargains up here !!!! About the same number for sale in the area as I would expect to see. Prices seem to fluctuate depending how badly or quickly they want to sell them....but usually overpriced compared to what they would cost across the border.

( http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ottawa/fiero/k0l1700185 )

WOW!!! I thought things were suppose to be cheaper in Canada, lol.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hcforde:

I am originally from Kalamazoo, left there in 1987 and brought my 1984 Fiero with me. GM bought the car back from me in 1991 and crushed it. They gave me over retail blue book and a voucher good for any GM car.

GM bought it back from you? Do you mean that you traded it in at a dealership when buying a new car, or they knocked on your door and said "Hi. We want to buy it back from you so we can crush it" ???

Originally posted by hcforde:

WOW!!! I thought things were suppose to be cheaper in Canada, lol.

I wish Fieros were! I'd have a fleet of them by now. Good deals do come along if you wait long enough...I bought my rust free '88 for $900. Only needed a new fuel pump to get running.

PFF
System Bot
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 10:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

GM bought it back from you? Do you mean that you traded it in at a dealership when buying a new car, or they knocked on your door and said "Hi. We want to buy it back from you so we can crush it" ???

His car was reclaimed by GM in a covert plan to rid the world of all Fieros. The program started and ended with his car. Only his. No one else's

seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2015 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

His car was reclaimed by GM in a covert plan to rid the world of all Fieros. The program started and ended with his car. Only his. No one else's

Just like GM did with the EV-1

hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2015 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I went to look at new cars at a pontiac dealership and when they found out I had a Fiero they gave me a number to deal with at corporate. Everything (the buyback amount)was negotiated through the corporate office and the voucher was good at any GM dealership, not just the Pontiac dealership I initially went to..

LOL css9450, Actually I checked with the Texas DMV and the car was crushed a couple of weeks after I gave it up. I am sure a dealer would do that just for fun.

[This message has been edited by hcforde (edited 05-18-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock