Questions regarding intercoolers by Dave E Bouy
Started on: 05-13-2015 01:57 PM
Replies: 5 (238 views)
Last post by: Dave E Bouy on 05-14-2015 03:30 PM
Dave E Bouy

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello all again. I am helping a friend install an xp cam etc. into his L67. We are also adding a zzp short stack intercooler. I am on unfamiliar ground here but when I look at the intercooler, the case separates into 2 halves with the small heater core like thingy sandwiched in between. There is a shallow groove milled into one of the inside surfaces that looks like it is to accommodate a rubber seal or is it possible that this groove is simply filled with RTV or some kind of sealant when final assembly of the intake takes place? Thanks as always
DF

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a question here?
Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yup. The question I guess is this.
1.) Is there a rubber seal of some sort that goes in the groove?
2.) Does this groove get filled with RTV or some other sealant?
Orrrrrrrrrr
3.) Is there no type of seal in there at all?

I'm pretty sure we can dismiss #3 and I'm leaning toward #2. Just hoping someone can confirm this.

DF
thesameguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm having trouble picturing what you're talking about, but I can't see why you'd need anything there. The heat exchanger wants metal to metal contact between the cores, anything insulating like silicone or rubber would reduce heat transfer. Did you try calling or emailing ZZP?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The ZZP SSIC is essentially two aluminum plates that sandwich a small heater core and the 3/8" feed and return hoses in place. Put those hoses on the fittings and carefully assemble the plates so that you do not pinch anything. A very light layer of silicone sealant is used. I don't know why you are asking this question as all of the SSIC's that I have seen are purchased assembled and don't arrive in pieces?
When installing use the longer supercharger bolts provided, a gasket above, below and use a small bead of sealant on all surfaces of the SSIC. Don't forget the coolant passage O rings on the series II engines. Torque in small increments in the proper sequence and spin the supercharger pulley by hand after every torque sequence to make sure that there is no binding. If there is binding, try backing off the bolts near the snout end just a tiny bit until it spins free.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Dave E Bouy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave E BouySend a Private Message to Dave E BouyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I should have mentioned that this ssic is used and is in 3 pieces.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock