taking a long time to start by newfiejeff
Started on: 05-13-2015 11:37 AM
Replies: 9 (116 views)
Last post by: newfiejeff on 05-14-2015 08:54 AM
newfiejeff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 2M4
Hi, what would cause a long time to start but when it starts it works fine.
- takes about 20 seconds or more to catch, will turn over fine, so bat not a problem
- then starts and works fine and runs perfect.

Latest changes, I changed a heater core and I replaced an O2 sensor, but used the car right after that and it was fine.
Drove it one night and it was fine then parked it and the next morning I didn't think it would start and then it did. I checked for spark and had loads, never checked for gas.

Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes.

Fieros have 2 ways to start the car (run the fuel pump). The usual way is the relay behind the driver next to the air intake. The second way is a switch in the oil pressure sender. If the relay circuit is not working, the car will slowly build oil pressure to activate the oil pressure switch, but it takes a lot longer to do this.

When you turn the key on, listen for a fuel pump noise in the center console.....it is probably not running.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-13-2015).]

newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I can hear it no problem.
The last time I tried starting the car before I actually turned it over I turned the key ahead to activate the pump, done that 3 times and the car started normal. I never had a chance to try it again.
I was thinking that it might be the fuel filter and thought about changing it but the car works too fine when it's going, so it's not that.

I may disconnect the fuel line from the filter and see if it pumps fuel right away. I should shoot out right away...corrrect?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

Yes I can hear it no problem.

well...dang! there goes my easy fix theory.... Yes, the fuel should shoot out.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After the car is off for a while should the gas go back in the tank, technically making the lines empty?
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

newfiejeff

560 posts
Member since Aug 2013
In the meantime maybe the relay never actually worked those couple of times and that is why it took a long time to start.
I will listen to pump on start up before I turn the car over.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes....but pressure should drop slowly....over many minutes. If it drops in 30 seconds or so, there is a leak somewhere.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just asking, is there a check valve in the sytem anywhere? Is there any hoses or pipes in the tank or just the fuel pump?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by newfiejeff:

Just asking, is there a check valve in the sytem anywhere? Is there any hoses or pipes in the tank or just the fuel pump?

There is a regulator in the injector. It seems to be very reliable.
There is some plumbing in the tank. You could have a slow leak there.
newfiejeff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for newfiejeffSend a Private Message to newfiejeffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well here is the latest.
Last night before I started the car I disconnected the gas line from the fuel filter and of course gas ran out of the filter and the line seemed full. I turned the key ahead 3 or 4 times and each time gas came out of the line. I hooked it back up and the car worked perfect after that.
I tried 15 or 20 times turning the key ahead and you can hear the pump click in. I drove the car and parked it for a bit and the car started fine after that, I tried the car this morning and all was fine.

I guess it's one of those Fiero mystery things.
I am going to change the filter again anyways and maybe there might have been a bit of dirt in the injector.

Thanks again for the replies.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock