Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  '84 SE front crossmember to space frame brackets: Picture's worth 1000 words...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
'84 SE front crossmember to space frame brackets: Picture's worth 1000 words... by David Hambleton
Started on: 05-11-2015 10:07 PM
Replies: 12 (893 views)
Last post by: Matthew_Fiero on 06-16-2021 02:56 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 10:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a source for new #45 brackets? How about #46 braces?

The bracket is probably not exactly original strength:

This bracket... never mind - there really isn't one:

I see the Fiero Store has replacement parts: http://www.fierostore.com/P.../Detail.aspx?s=57627 PAIR&d=338&p=1
Anyone try them?

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 05-11-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you might have too much damage to save the cross member even when finding the brackets.
You need to looks hard at the rest of rust area.

example, The tube for UCA is welded to the cross member. Rust can cause tube to fail.
Fail here at highway speeds can wreck the car.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2015 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's pretty bad...how is the rest of the car?

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

lordbg0205

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2015 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lordbg0205Send a Private Message to lordbg0205Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got done doing the same thing. My brackets were gone as well and my crossmember tubes were ovaled out. I used tfs brackets, obtained a crossmember in great shape from the fiero factory. Cleaned and cussed, broke some bolts, but all said and done it was worth it. Put poly in the bushings, new grade 10 hardware, balljoints,etc. Its a whole new front end now.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2015 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I made my own of both parts

DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2015 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero Store sells them, with the apropriate bolts.

I bought them and I love them.

http://www.fierostore.com/P...%20%20PAIR&d=338&p=1

http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=52312&d=224&p=1

[This message has been edited by DKcustoms (edited 05-12-2015).]

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2015 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The space frame, suspension and structural members look pretty solid from underneath. It's no coincidence that The Fiero Store has replacement brackets and braces. The passenger side brace isn't much to look at; the one end mostly isn't:

The screw into the cross member came out ok; not so the other end:

(The mounting area is solid; the black is paint - not holes - & the rust is from the brace.)

Anyone have a magic removal tool?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I cleaned off the loose stuff & there was virtually nothing left. I welded nuts onto the remains of the bolts to remove them.
Surprisingly, the crossmember & the rest of the structures are ok.

The new brackets needed the lower slots lengthened about 0.050" & I put a 3/16" stainless spacer plate underneath both sides.
3 of the 16 fillet welds for the gussets barely touched the gussets. Strength-wise the welds on the other side are plenty adequate for the gussets to be ok.

Being Canadian, the cost escalates for the four parts:
2 braces: $50 US
2 brackets: $75 US
shipping: $60 US
CDN exchange: $43
Tax & fee: $31 (Canadian Border Services fee to collect the $21 harmonized sales tax: $10)
Total: $259

Oh well, that's a small price to pay to keep the wheels from falling off...

I wonder if anyone has experienced a significant failure resulting from corrosion in the upper control arm area...
jhobbins

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2020 12:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jhobbinsSend a Private Message to jhobbinsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have any sources for these brackets? I discovered mine are rusted pretty good, cross-member tube seems to be in good shape though. I cannot find this bracket anywhere though.
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2020 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes, you just need learn to make things yourself!
There is no easy way to get stuff replaced on an old car, except by making and/or repairing it at home.

I made these from steel tube and flat plate that came from the local DIY supplier. Cost about 20euros plus my time.

Regards,
Rafe
------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. Sticky tyres. Driven hard!
https://www.youtube.com/cha...1wZvWQlkYxTjivW_0XNg

[This message has been edited by Frenchrafe (edited 08-27-2020).]

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2020 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought Rodney's diagonal brackets...Very well made! Don't know if he makes those upper brackets...
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2020 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if anyone is still making the crossmember to frame brackets? The Fiero Store no longer carries them. Got two to replace on an 85GT.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Matthew_Fiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-16-2021 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bump.

If anyone has a new source please let us know.

Thank you,

Matthew

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock