3.4L no spark after replaced ICM by Sabenn_88_notch
Started on: 05-11-2015 01:37 PM
Replies: 3 (279 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 05-11-2015 06:04 PM
Sabenn_88_notch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Sabenn_88_notchSend a Private Message to Sabenn_88_notchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 3.4L decided to blow something, though I do not know what.

I was doing freeway driving after just coming out of stop and go traffic in 80 degree weather and a few miles after the traffic cleared and I got back up to speed again, the engine died. I pulled over and the engine would catch but never start. after getting it towed home there is nothing. I put a timing light onto the sparkplug wire that goes into the center of the distributor and there was no spark going through the wire. I then replaced the ICM and still that did not change anything. What else could it be?

Thanks,

Zach
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As you crank the starter, watch the tach for some movement of the needle. If it does not move, you have a primary ignition problem.

ICM, part of the ignition coil, pickup coil, magnet in distributor, or the wires and connectors for those things.

If the needle moves up to 200 or 300, you have a secondary ignition problem.

the other part of the ignition coil, rotor, cap, spark plug wires, or spark plugs.

Do not assume your new ICM is good. Many are not.
no2pencil

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for no2pencilSend a Private Message to no2pencilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A bad connection developed in my distributor to coil wires while replacing an ICM once. Drove home with a paper clip.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes when plugging the harness wires back into the ICM, the male pins on the module can push the female terminals in the harness back into the harness end. They will make contact for a while, but it's only a butt connection. Unplug the harnesses at the ICM and look to see if all the terminals inside them are equally visible.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock