Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  4.9 in a Fiero coolant overflow bottle[s] question (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
4.9 in a Fiero coolant overflow bottle[s] question by Daleford
Started on: 05-11-2015 01:28 PM
Replies: 46 (672 views)
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 05-15-2015 12:40 AM
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

I know this is not new, but I also put a high pressure rated cap on the stock Fiero radiator location. I plugged the overflow vent for the radiator to prevent the ventilation of air into the radiator during cool down. Then put a 15# cap in the engine bay to purge the system from the highest point in the cooling system o my LS4.

Any problems?

Kevin
IP: Logged
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only problem I have had in the last 10 years is that I had a leaky water pump twice and the coolant ran low one or twice before I replaced the pump. Once the trip was so long that the engine just started to heat up because of the leak. But that is totally my fault for not replacing the pump.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds good. I just cannot see how it wouldn't work.

Kevin
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 10:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lambo nut

4442 posts
Member since Sep 2003

Originally posted by Neils88:

Small diameter pipe. The flow of water drives out any air.

I could understand that if the heater core had only one tube with a single inlet and outlet but they are made more like a radiator.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 05-14-2015).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

I could understand that if the heater core had only one tube with a single inlet and outlet but they are made more like a radiator.

Kevin

There is a lot of turbulence as the flow passes through the core. This results in any air being broken down into tiny air bubbles in the water/coolant. Surface tension drags the bubbles through the system.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2015 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since mine was done, I have driven it on at least one Run For The Hills. Also drove it to Indy and back to Atlanta for the 30th - with the air conditioning on, most of the time. It never even thought about overheating.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

Sounds good. I just cannot see how it wouldn't work.

Kevin

This is why I put off the water pump replacement, it came out all the way to do it. But in all fairness I also did a few other things too.

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock