Move bump stops for 1" lower? by lorennerol
Started on: 05-11-2015 11:37 AM
Replies: 9 (423 views)
Last post by: tebailey on 05-11-2015 04:25 PM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am considering lowering my car an inch. I looked at the WCF 1"/0.75" lowering spring kit and they recommend moving the bump stops. Is the general consensus that the stops should/need to be moved for a 1" lower?

Thank in advance!

L
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tebailey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I dropped mine an inch without lowering the stops, it bottomed out against the stops so hard it knocked the mirror of the windshield. Before I drove it again, I cut and lowered the stops. If you have a welder and cutoff wheel it's an easy job, took me about an hour per side.
1shot

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1shotSend a Private Message to 1shotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the bump stop welded to the swingarm or is it bolted? I've had that problem with mine bottoming out also. I removed a round and a half from the springs.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fronts are welded, rears are part of the strut assembly.

Fronts: http://www.westcoastfiero.c...front_bump_stop.html
Rears: http://www.westcoastfiero.c.../rear_bump_stop.html

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to wait on this project for now.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This thread is a good example of why it's important to mention the YEAR of the Fiero being discussed.

Shortening the front bump stops on an '84-'87 Fiero is a relatively involved task with cutting and welding required.

Shortening the front bump stops on an '88 is simple task requiring the shortening of a piece of rubber on each side.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:This thread is a good example of why it's important to mention the YEAR of the Fiero being discussed.

Excellent point. I've updated my sig block with my car info, and yes, my question related to an 87.

zmcdonal

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for zmcdonalSend a Private Message to zmcdonalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it really depends on the spring rates of the lowering springs. I lowered my 85 with Eibachs which dropped it around an inch, I did not modify the bump stops and it seemed fine. On the other hand, my 87 had been lowered before I bought it with cut springs, I believe more than an inch, and it rides like a train car because the bump stops were not modified. I have been tossing around the idea of swapping my cut springs for the Eibachs I have in my garage but I love the stance it has now. I have also considered getting the bump stops modified, but I think I would bottom the nose out a lot more if the suspension had more travel.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine was an 84, and although it does require cutting and welding it only took about an hour a side to shorten them.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tebailey:

Mine was an 84, and although it does require cutting and welding it only took about an hour a side to shorten them.

You must work with phenomenal speed... or you've done this a bunch of times and are well versed in all the steps required. Took me considerably longer than "an hour a side" when I took it all apart to do the job. But it was well worth it. My '84 handled a whole lot better at autocross when I actually had a lowered front suspension that was not just sitting on the bump stops any longer!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-11-2015).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was a heavy equipment mechanic for 30yrs, so to me it was a minor job. Most of the machines I used to work on the tires alone were heavier than the entire Fiero. Plus having over $50,000 worth of tools helps

[This message has been edited by tebailey (edited 05-11-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock