Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What is the best way to store an engine ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What is the best way to store an engine ? by hcforde
Started on: 05-09-2015 11:59 AM
Replies: 7 (227 views)
Last post by: hcforde on 05-15-2015 10:55 PM
hcforde

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a few Fiero's and it seems that the postings for them are not as bountiful on Craigslist now as they were a couple of years ago. I want to get an engine or 2. Rebuild them and have them ready just in case one of the engines in a current car goes bad. I have mostly 6 cylinder engines (i only have 1 4cyl Fiero ) and no I do not wish to do any kind of a 3.1 or 3.4 swap.I just want a spare engine available. What is the best way to store it after a rebuilt engine for possibly years. I was thinking of getting some sheet plastic building a box and sealing it with a plastic welder and storing it in there with some desiccant? LOL

PLEASE, ARE THERE ANY BETTER IDEAS THAN MY OWN?

Secondary to that is there an easy way to start and test an engine before installing it in a car?

Thanks

------------------
1988 GT, Automatic, running - bought in Illinois and drove to Austin
1986 SE, 4 cyl, 5 speed running - Bought in California and drove to Austin
1988 GT, T-Top - non running - "Trailered" back from California going to be restored (in storage)
1986 GT, highly modified engine/exhaust, but slave/clutch issue - Trailered back from Las Cruces, NM Chop-top candidate (in storage)
1986 SE, bought locally, Automatic won't shift into gear - Chop-top candidate (in storage)
6-11-2014 acquisition - 1987 GT Tangerine/Silver

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've started motors on an engine stand before. I usually purchase plastic boxing wrap from the hardware store for pallets etc, and Serran wrap the motors solid so dust cannot get in. It will attract dust on the outside but the motor will be sealed tight.

------------------

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Storing an engine, tightly wrap in plastic with special attention to any open ports, like the intake. Remove spark plugs and squirt some auto tranny fluid in each cylinder to prevent cylinder wall pitting, especially where the piston rings are in contact. Reinstall plugs with anti-seize. Drain coolant and oil. Manually rotate crank on a periodic basis to reposition piston rings in the bore, and to relieve the pressure that only some valve springs are seeing at the time. I think 180 degrees every 4 to 6 months at the most?
Running an engine on the stand? Can be done, but I wouldn't use a harbor freight stand. The wheelbase is narrow enough to knock the stand over and send the motor rolling across the room. Use common sense, of course. I prefer to store an engine in an old tire or two (rims removed! Haha). The stand would allow you to move it easier though.
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems I remember that some new crate motors (Jasper?) came in a plastic crate of sorts. You might call them and see if they have any damaged ones you could buy cheap.
woodyhere

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for woodyhereSend a Private Message to woodyhereEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One thing we all forget is some of the valve springs are compressed and the lifters under full valve load. I got into the habit of backing off the rocker arms. All the valves are closed and the cylinders sealed. Then wrap the block with shrink wrap. Good idea to lube the pistons/cylinders. The rings can stick in the pistons if there is no oil and moisture is present.

Woody

------------------
woodys 427

Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Backing off the valve adj nuts is a good idea. If I know the engine will be a Long time non use, and it has" just been rebuilt and not run", I Seal up all the external holes where oil could escape, then while ON the Engine Stand, "Rotate" the ENTIRE Engine 360 degrees slowly (coating the entire insides out the engine in oil), then put some oil in the cylinders where rotating could not get to, Then wrap it up. Very Large Lawn/Leaf bags work well.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Question: What is the best way to store an engine?

Answer: Give it to fieromatty (IFF it runs)
hcforde

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hcfordeSend a Private Message to hcfordeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

Question: What is the best way to store an engine?

Answer: Give it to fieromatty (IFF it runs)

LOL, where do you live? It might cost you more to drive here to get a "free" engine than it may be worth. On the other hand I might be willing to drive excessive miles to get a newly rebuilt engine myself ...........to store it for someone else.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock