Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Two loose magnets in rad fan motor for '84 SE with AC. Fixable?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Two loose magnets in rad fan motor for '84 SE with AC. Fixable? by David Hambleton
Started on: 05-08-2015 11:01 PM
Replies: 9 (160 views)
Last post by: David Hambleton on 05-12-2015 08:24 PM
David Hambleton

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Can the two magnets be glued back in place? I removed the snap ring from the shaft, but the armature isn't coming out readily. Any hints?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Click Here to Email fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Replace it...
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 12:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
New would be great, but I haven't found a replacement that looks like it. I think the '84 was unique, particularly with the shroud for the A/C option.
There are 3 little screws that hold the fan blades on; no center hole for a shaft & nut.
I might find a used one, then I could use the motor bracket as well.

I figured if I could get the armature out without breaking something, I could stick the magnets back on.

[This message has been edited by David Hambleton (edited 05-09-2015).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 278
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
With or without A/C? Different fans....

GM listing and description PN 22134671
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com...ine-coolant-fan.html

Best match that comes up listed for just the 84 is AC Delco PN 158449
http://www.autopartswarehou...tiac+Fiero+Fan+Motor
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/...984&ukey_model=14634

See also Four Seasons Part Number 35656
http://www.premiumautoparts...n-motor/pontiac/1984

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Click Here to Email vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes it can be fixed. be patient it will come out. i have done this on both of my low mileage 84's and a 222,000 mile 86. clean area really good where magnets go, and reinstall them with jb weld 2 part epoxy. check that none of the others are loose, if in question, remove them and do the same. will work just fine.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

With or without A/C? Different fans....

GM listing and description PN 22134671
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com...ine-coolant-fan.html

Best match that comes up listed for just the 84 is AC Delco PN 158449
http://www.autopartswarehou...tiac+Fiero+Fan+Motor
http://parts.nalleygmc.com/...984&ukey_model=14634

See also Four Seasons Part Number 35656
http://www.premiumautoparts...n-motor/pontiac/1984

Thanks for the links. I wonder if any of them look like the one in my picture - an open end cylinder. The plastic fan fastens directly to the round plate with three little machine screws. The website pictures show a protruding shaft from an enclosed motor with a nut; much like the stuff on Rockauto.

What's your experience been for shipping? Some don't have Canadian shipping options...

David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vette7584:

yes it can be fixed. be patient it will come out. i have done this on both of my low mileage 84's and a 222,000 mile 86. clean area really good where magnets go, and reinstall them with jb weld 2 part epoxy. check that none of the others are loose, if in question, remove them and do the same. will work just fine.

Thanks. I didn't know if any external rivets had to be removed or something... I hate breaking something then seeing how I could have taken it apart safely if I'd just know how it was put together. Lol!

The magnetic attraction is very strong, but the armature came out. I polished the interior space for the two magnets to bare metal and used the JB Weld epoxy. I used wood strips to keep the magnets from sliding to the adjacent magnets.

Bill Schulte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Bill SchulteClick Here to Email Bill SchulteSend a Private Message to Bill SchulteEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's excatly what I did with my fan motor on my 84 2M4.

I used two part epoxy to glue the magnets back in, using wooden pencils between the magnets to keep them centered, and popsicle sticks between the magents and armature. Worked out great.

PS: The fan motors in 84's were a 2-speed fan. They were very expensive when you could still get them from GM. Now they're very rare. Most people do an electrical fan conversion to a different type of motor when they fail.

Good to hear you got your back going again.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, part of the fun of having old cars is seeing what can be fixed. If I want to buy everything new, I'd get a new car.

The resistor used for providing the lower speed crumbled years ago. I just joined the two wires to the fan feed wire so the fan runs on high speed regardless of which switch sends power.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2015 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonClick Here to Email David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Bill - I thought you were a small block chev guy until I googled sbcglobal...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock