1998 pontiac factory cd player with eq from a grand prix by jetsnvettes2000
Started on: 05-08-2015 05:55 PM
Replies: 10 (505 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 05-10-2015 10:59 AM
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What is the plug to the right with the red tab? do I use it? and what is it for? I think I figured out the colors on the main plug but they colors differ from what I have seen posted in other threads on here but I think I have the most of it figured out except a few and one with no word of what it is for.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The extra red plug is for a remote CD changer. I hope you haven't cut your car's wiring yet, they make a plug 'n play adapter for what you're doing, it's a Metra part though the number escapes me. Look up 21 pin adapter harnesses, I found it on this forum and others, the adapter runs $11 to $14 on eBay and is worth every penny.
f85gtron

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for f85gtronSend a Private Message to f85gtronEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Depending on the application, could be for steering wheel controls, or tape, or changer. I've got the same radio and looked all over for a mod to run aux into that plug, but can't find where anyone attempted it. I have found adapters that may or may not work. They sy they work, then a review will say it won't. Some only work if you hook a dead tape player to the adapter and so on.
notwohorns

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for notwohornsSend a Private Message to notwohornsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On the Metra adapter it is the Gm 21 pin radio to Gm 12 pin car

[This message has been edited by notwohorns (edited 05-08-2015).]

Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a listing on ebay for 21pin to 12pin adapter, you will also need a antenna adapter, there are many choices out there. Check Best Buy, Wal*Mart, and your local car stereo installation place. That's where I have found mine.

GM 21 PIN RADIO TO GM 12 PIN CAR, STEREO, Adapter
jetsnvettes2000

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetsnvettes2000Send a Private Message to jetsnvettes2000Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ponnari:

Here is a listing on ebay for 21pin to 12pin adapter, you will also need a antenna adapter, there are many choices out there. Check Best Buy, Wal*Mart, and your local car stereo installation place. That's where I have found mine.

GM 21 PIN RADIO TO GM 12 PIN CAR, STEREO, Adapter

Hmmm ya ok you have twisted my arm, I was just going to hard wire it in without adapter as I wont ever go back to the old one but this is just too easy to screw with it.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by f85gtron:

Depending on the application, could be for steering wheel controls, or tape, or changer. I've got the same radio and looked all over for a mod to run aux into that plug, but can't find where anyone attempted it. I have found adapters that may or may not work. They sy they work, then a review will say it won't. Some only work if you hook a dead tape player to the adapter and so on.

As the story goes, the only radios like the one pictured that will accept an iPod controller adapter - I'm guessing that also includes a regular AUX adapter - are radios with "Monsoon" printed on the front. And possibly not all of those.
The reality is, if it will control a remote CD changer, it will also run an AUX/iPod adapter.

Replacementradios.com sells the "compatible" Monsoon units. Or at least they did.
They also sell the wiring adapter, to install it in a Fiero. Any of the Pontiac radios that look like that will work in a Fiero, with the proper adapter.

I'm using a radio that apparently came from a 2001 GMC Sonoma. It has the ability to run an iPod controller.
My only complaint is that the backlighting is kind of blue/white. (Standard Chevy/GMC color.)
It does, however, have several pre-programmed EQ curves, and also has "speed controlled volume" (whenever I hook it up.)

Here's a link...
http://replacementradios.co...-1182dcdc-p-115.html

And here's the fully compatible Monsoon...
http://replacementradios.co...up3mcdcpa-p-227.html

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I'm not mistaken, this auxiliary port does NOT handle the steering wheel radio controls. I've pulled this radio (and it's close cousin, the "monsoon" unit) out of a few cars with radio controls where this port was not used at all. I spliced my first one into my '85 trans am and I messed up the dimmer switch wire, resulting in no backlighting unless the dimmer switch was at it's lowest setting (doh!). That's why I suggest the metra harness, which also allows you to revert to stock easily. I mention this for future interest in this swap, because there are a few misleading threads in several different forums. Also, for those interested, there is reportedly NO difference between the 2 seven-band eq radios (monsoon and non-monsoon) except for the bezel surrounding the track/time display, in which you see the word "monsoon". This bezel pops out and can be swapped with the monsoon bezel if it really makes ya feel better. Awesome little radio that looks stock in any pontiac. Now if only I could figure out a way to wire in the actual monsoon amp and make it look stock...
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:

If I'm not mistaken, this auxiliary port does NOT handle the steering wheel radio controls. I've pulled this radio (and it's close cousin, the "monsoon" unit) out of a few cars with radio controls where this port was not used at all. I spliced my first one into my '85 trans am and I messed up the dimmer switch wire, resulting in no backlighting unless the dimmer switch was at it's lowest setting (doh!). That's why I suggest the metra harness, which also allows you to revert to stock easily. I mention this for future interest in this swap, because there are a few misleading threads in several different forums. Also, for those interested, there is reportedly NO difference between the 2 seven-band eq radios (monsoon and non-monsoon) except for the bezel surrounding the track/time display, in which you see the word "monsoon". This bezel pops out and can be swapped with the monsoon bezel if it really makes ya feel better. Awesome little radio that looks stock in any pontiac. Now if only I could figure out a way to wire in the actual monsoon amp and make it look stock...

I've read that the monsoon radios were designed to drive more than 4 speakers, perhaps the Bose system in some Trans am's & others.
You might find it in a search of the forum.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

viperine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The external monsoon amp controls the additional speakers if equipped. I believe two actual speakers and two tweeters are these extra speakers. The 21 pin connector handles the main radio functions plus steering wheel controls. External amp and remote CD changer use the port that started this thread. The donor pigtail connector for the 21 pin port will serve as an indicator of what the donor vehicle was equipped with. If not all 21 pins have wires, then the donor did not have steering wheel controls, etc. Some cars came with amps even without the monsoon faceplate. Other cars had monsoon faceplates, but no amp. I own one of each of these radios, both. Sound is identical on the same 4-speaker setup. Not sure why gm didn't simplify it.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by viperine:
... Also, for those interested, there is reportedly NO difference between the 2 seven-band eq radios (monsoon and non-monsoon) except for the bezel surrounding the track/time display, in which you see the word "monsoon"...

As far as the radios (internal amp and tuner, etc) I've heard the same thing.

But have you been able to run an iPod /AUX controller with a non-monsoon unit?
That's where I've been told (by a vendor, actually) that the Monsoon unit is different. (Not like he didn't have a vested interest...)
And, supposedly, not all Monsoon units will do it.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock