Mystery tag part? by MacDee
Started on: 05-08-2015 02:44 PM
Replies: 10 (254 views)
Last post by: MacDee on 05-09-2015 06:35 PM
MacDee

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacDeeSend a Private Message to MacDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a mystery stamped metal piece that has an "I"and a "P" stamped into it not sure how it fits/oriented on shifter cable area or what it's functionality is. I putting an 85 GT 2.8 back together after changing the clutch.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m...022.40.46.jpg?oref=e

Allan
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have never seen that part on a Fiero, including my 85 GT 4 speed.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MacDee:

I putting an 85 GT 2.8 back together after changing the clutch.

The only year Fiero I haven't owned and worked on is an '85. I've never seen that part on any other year.

You're going to have to learn how to re-size images. Here's your image massaged a bit...

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-08-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think someone just put it in there as a joke. The P and I stand for Puzzling Isn't it.

It may be something that was used in shipping or in assembly and didn't get discarded on the assembly line.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Almost looks like it had a square nut spot welded in it at one time. And the tabs on the ends keep it from spinning while a bolt is being tightened. I've had my car apart a couple times but haven't seen anything that looks like it but it may be something that is buried in the bodywork somewhere.

MacDee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 01:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacDeeSend a Private Message to MacDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry. Typo it is from an 86 GT 2.8 4 spd not an 85. I apologize we found it around where the shifter cables attach to the tranny we just couldn't figure out how it attached or what it was for.
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 07:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seajai:

Almost looks like it had a square nut spot welded in it at one time. And the tabs on the ends keep it from spinning while a bolt is being tightened. I've had my car apart a couple times but haven't seen anything that looks like it but it may be something that is buried in the bodywork somewhere.

Sure does look like that doesn't it, I bet that is what it I as well. it does look like the internal clip that holds the nut In place for like fenders, not on our Fiero's but on steel fenders. they are like said usually hidden under or inside a part where they use a captured nut that can also move but not to much to allow for some adjustment of the parts fit.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-09-2015).]

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MacDee:

...we found it around where the shifter cables attach to the tranny...

I'll bet I've found $20 in change in my various Fieros.

84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 08:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:
I'll bet I've found $20 in change in my various Fieros.

No Sh!t and just like that change didn't belong where you found them that maybe the case in this case, it could be just a capture nut from some other vehicles over the last 25 + years of repairs.

Caution if you do a search for automotive Capture nuts in Google you will come up with some other nuts you may not want to see.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

[This message has been edited by 84fiero123 (edited 05-09-2015).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 08:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was mistakenly under the impression that it was in the console shifter area, judging by it's appearance. Just where was it found in the transmission area? It couldn't have been back there all these years, judging by it's finish. Had it been in the engine bay all this time, it would be badly rusted, especially if the car has been in your area for any length of time.
MacDee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacDeeSend a Private Message to MacDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The part was on the tranny as we were putting the cables back on. The car is low mileage maybe 58K I think and it litterally was only driven by my mother in law for her to go get her nails done for the last decade or so. It is in very good shape so the part could have been on te tranny all this time. There are three points on each side that are actual bumps on the inside like a detent. They are not weld points. I've got another thread going on clutch bleeding so we are still working on it and I'll post a pic if I figure it out.

I'm learning a lot about Fieros. I've done breaks, plugs, coil, rear wheel bearing and now a clutch but my daughter who now owns the car is losing patience but she realizes we should fix even if she wants to sell it.

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock