Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  3800 gurus, request your inputs on some questions....

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
3800 gurus, request your inputs on some questions.... by OHNIKO
Started on: 05-08-2015 02:23 PM
Replies: 12 (596 views)
Last post by: OHNIKO on 05-27-2015 09:52 PM
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the set up & upgrades:

1998 series 2 3800 (L67) & 4t65E auto HD tranny from buick regal gs
2007 gen 5 supercharger with N* TB & spacer
2000 N* MAF
3.25" zzp pulley
XP Hot Cam
walbro hi-flo fuel pump
105# comp cam valve springs, pushrods, lifters, mod retainers
zzp 1" short stack intercooler
colder plugs: NGK TR6 V-power
zzp 10mm plug wires
stock heads
cold air intake
low mount alternator
QUESTION(S):

A) what have u guys done for exhaust manifolds?
B) what size & style/type of injectors to use? links/part numbers helpful
C) what pump to use for IC system? from where/which one?

i'll leave it at these three questions for now but more to come!
Thanks in advance all!

Nick

[This message has been edited by OHNIKO (edited 05-15-2015).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My exhaust is 3" out of the rear manifold to a crossflow afterburner muffler with dual 2 1/2" outlets to a set of Heddman Hot tips (dual tips) I tried the Powerlog manifold from ZZ Performance but I was not crazy about the fit. Am modifying it for more A/C compressor clearance. All of the header setups that I've seen on 3800SC swaps don't allow room for the trunk. Its small enough as is and I want to keep it for overnight trips. I run a similar setup to yours with the SSIC and so far no KR's through the power band. With a 3.4" pulley, max boost is 11 psi at WOT. Those series V superchargers really put out the boost.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

JCircs

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JCircsSend a Private Message to JCircsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have pretty much the same setup, XP w/140#, full size intercooler, Gen V / N*, 3.0 pulley.
A) ZZP power log / ported ssei manifold
B) Bosch Green Giant 42.5's
C) Bosch Cobra pump.
bkw88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 11:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bkw88Send a Private Message to bkw88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I built an exhaust using rear manifold exit. Buil a custom y-pipe off manifold. Spilt into two 3" Jones turbo tube mufflers and stock tops modified to accept 3" pipes. Sounded great. Will post some pics for you as soon as I figure out how..lol
Tuna Helper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tuna HelperSend a Private Message to Tuna HelperEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm running stock manifolds, trunk cut, and am trying to find out if the rams horn style 3.8 manifolds are ok to use, since all the stuff I find says '99+, but you need AC delete. It looks like the rams horns would have AC clearance. This is on a stock motor.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There was a guy on this forum who adapted a set of headers for a 3.8L Mustang on his 3800 swap. IIRC the spacing of the tubes on the manifolds were good, they fit without truck cutting, but I believe that he had to cut , rotate and re-weld the flanges to match the pattern on the GM heads. Never followed up to find out the result, but we may be able to gather some info in the archives.
UPDATE Found it: It was fieroflyer

Apparently he completed the install. These header tubes look large.
Full info here: //www.fiero.nl/forum/A...090219-2-086570.html
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-09-2015).]

FIEROFLYER

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2015 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep the Mustang manifolds fit and work very nicely but the center port has to be cut and turned a little then all port need to have mounting holes elongated a bit to bolt up. I find it easier to just cut up a stock rear manifold for the flange with a little port left on and weld the mustang manifold with its flange cut off to the stock 3800 flange looks cleaner and bolts on better and you can keep the EGR if wanted
bmwguru

Feedback score:    (38)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bmwguruClick Here to visit bmwguru's HomePageSend a Private Message to bmwguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OHNIKO:

QUESTION(S):

A) what have u guys done for exhaust manifolds?
B) what size & style/type of injectors to use? links/part numbers helpful
C) what pump to use for IC system? from where/which one?

i'll leave it at these three questions for now but more to come!
Thanks in advance all!

Nick

I am really not fond of the deep Fiero trunk, so I cut it out of all my cars and left a half trunk. That does allow more options for the exhaust. I ran custom unequal length headers. The unequal length give a better sound IMO, and that is what I was aiming towards.

My setup is a little more aggressive than yours. 42lb injectors should work for you. I am running 52lb injectors because the 42lb ones were going static and 60lb ones were overkill.

I am running a Bosch auxiliary water pump that was originally for a Mercedes. Probably very similar to what ZZP sells, but I wanted a certain flowrate with my setup due to the hose size I chose to use and the Benz pump met the specs.

Dave

------------------

www.hausofguru.com

ILVMYGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ILVMYGTSend a Private Message to ILVMYGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a set of West Coast Fiero headers.

They follow the stock routing and don't require cutting the trunk. I don't know if they are still available.

------------------
88 GT 5 Speed Black with gray interior
3800 SCII Swap Complete.
Paint Complete
Detailing in Progress

IT RUNS!!
IT'S QUICK!!

"Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody's going to know whether you did it or not."

OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks folks! appreciate the input. I do prefer to keep the trunk intact.

For those with a/c, (Dennis et al), what are you doing/modifying to get better/more clearance? some 'shaving'?

A) I don't have the tools to refab for the exhaust mani's so will probably go with a pre-fab (zzp? set).

To confirm, is it this one?
http://shop.zzperformance.c...nless-Power-Log.aspx

as I see they also have this one:
http://shop.zzperformance.c...-Rear-Power-Log.aspx

Oh, is their front our rear? confoozed. pls clarify for us newbie non-experts!
Also, will I need a new set of manifold gaskets? ...not sure if old ones are re-usable/shot yet...

http://shop.zzperformance.c...s.aspx?RelatedID=245

B) & C)...i'll ask in new threads to keep it cleaner

thanks again!

Nick

[This message has been edited by OHNIKO (edited 05-15-2015).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

For those with a/c, (Dennis et al), what are you doing/modifying to get better/more clearance? some 'shaving'?

A) I don't have the tools to refab for the exhaust mani's so will probably go with a pre-fab (zzp? set).

To confirm, is it this one?

Oh, is their front our rear? confoozed. pls clarify for us newbie non-experts!
Also, will I need a new set of manifold gaskets? ...not sure if old ones are re-usable/shot yet...

B) & C)...i'll ask in new threads to keep it cleaner

thanks again!

Nick

You want the ZZ SS Front Powerlog. That replaces the restrictive front manifold. It will fit good but my complaint was that the clearance to the A/C compressor on the series III engine was a little too close fo rmy comfort level. We just used a 10 ton press to smooth the OD about 1/16" on the bottom. Not the ideal way to do it but it works and I don't believe that we lost much if any flow

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

PFF
System Bot
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2015 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Nick

No, U want this Rear one...or just your your stock one.

And the front one...

Get the felpro gaskets at Rock auto or your local parts store.
OHNIKO

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2015 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKOEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thank you kindly!

because I'm assuming the stock oem chain has not been replaced and is stretched,
is a double -roller timing chain necessary/better or is the single roller adequate for my set up? (i'm running 105 pounds valve springs)

cheerio

[This message has been edited by OHNIKO (edited 05-27-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock