Started on: 05-07-2015 05:40 PM
Replies: 18 (249 views)
Last post by: tesmith66 on 05-08-2015 07:38 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'87 GT w/ '00 Bonneville n/a 3800. Got my 1st oil change today. The tech found the dipstick (not me) but couldn't pull it all the way to check the oil for fear he would either break something or not be able to get it back in the tube. Is it normal for it to be all but hidden on the front (passenger) side of the motor? Is there some sort of replacement dip stick and tube that would relocate it to a more accessible place? The tech said that he knows it takes 4.5 qts so he says the level is good but I don't feel good about driving it unless I can verify.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nobody? C'mon, fellow Fieroholics! I won't drive the car until I can check it.
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The yellow dipstick against the firewall, unless the installer changed it somehow

[This message has been edited by Mike Gonzalez (edited 05-07-2015).]

Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mike Gonzalez

5093 posts
Member since Jul 2001
You can just see it poking over the SC to the right of the fuel rail, yellow handle.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right, guys. That's where it is on my car, too but it's nearly impossible to pull out without quite a bit of tension. I can't see the dipstick tube so I think I'd have trouble getting it back in the hole. What's the trick to this?

Thanks for the responses.
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i just reach behind and touch the dipstick tube and guide the dipstick in. Just get it started then grab it higher and feed it in. I've never had any problem with it honestly.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Thanks. BTW, what's the red dipstick at the front of YOUR engine? Auto tranny?
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya, thats for the 4t65E auto trans
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, again!
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No prob :-)
Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I pointed out the dipstick on my SC to a mechanic buddy. He said well as long as it doesn't burn or leak oil, change the oil every 3,000 miles with 5 quarts and you'll never really need to pull the dipstick out. pretty good advice. I guide it back like Mike describes and it works ok.
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
5 qts or 4.5 qts?? The shop just told me it was 4.5 qts. I'm gonna have to go out and check.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Grantman:

I pointed out the dipstick on my SC to a mechanic buddy. He said well as long as it doesn't burn or leak oil, change the oil every 3,000 miles with 5 quarts and you'll never really need to pull the dipstick out. pretty good advice. I guide it back like Mike describes and it works ok.

Agreed, though with modern oils, it really is not necessary to change oil that often, especially if you use synthetic.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

He said well as long as it doesn't...leak oil...

The oil pan gasket leaks a bit but that's another thread. I'll save that for later. I think people are getting tired of my "what's wrong with my car" threads. /shrug/

Grantman

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GrantmanSend a Private Message to GrantmanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
it's 4.5 but I put on a larger filter.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

it's 4.5 but I put on a larger filter.

Whew.
Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, I always did 4.5 qts in my GTP with a regular sized filter, same as I do/will do when my L67 swapped Fiero is finally on the road for more than just going around the block.

edit:

If the dipstick is newer there can be a little bit more resistance removing/re-installing it, but its the room to work with due to its location that can make it difficult.

[This message has been edited by Jfrost (edited 05-07-2015).]

Jfrost

Feedback score:    (29)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JfrostSend a Private Message to JfrostEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jfrost

1092 posts
Member since Jul 2009

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Agreed, though with modern oils, it really is not necessary to change oil that often, especially if you use synthetic.

In my GTP, running fully synthetic, I often went 6-7k miles between oil changes and didn't sweat it (mainly highway miles). I followed the factory oil life gauge in the car and the oil never came out looking bad enough to have me concerned. When my L67 Fiero is on the road for a full season I'll changed it once it gets to 5k or if not just once a year.
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 07:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always dumped 5 qts in my 97 Grand Prix. Hmm...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock