Speedometer1984Manual by Gavin
Started on: 05-07-2015 10:11 AM
Replies: 4 (95 views)
Last post by: Gavin on 05-11-2015 01:58 PM
Gavin

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GavinSend a Private Message to GavinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am the original owner of a 19842M4, manual transmission. Years ago I decided it would be a good idea to check my transmission fluid level. In the process of removing the speed sensor from the transmission I must have dislodged that purple sensor gear because when i put it back in place my speedometer stopped working. Also, my odometer stopped recording mileage. Eventually I was able to acquire a new purple speedo gear (from the Fiero store). After installing it my speedometer worked, the "shift engine" light worked and I was pleased with myself. Three kilometers later the speedometer etc stopped working. When I pulled the sensor out of the transmission the purple gear was mangled. The part of the sensor that it attaches to was damaged. I was able to buy a new sensor (Fiero Store) and another purple gear but my speedometer has not started working. When I probe into the transmission with my finger I can feel a gear inside the transmission that I assume the purple gear is supposed to mesh with. I can move it back and forth with my finger. I assume that the gear inside the transmission has become dislodged. I assume but I do not know. I have no idea how to determine whether the gear inside the transmission is the issue or how to resolve it, if that is the case. To troubleshoot the problem I hooked up the speedo sensor to a power drill to see if that part of the system works properly. When the speedo sensor is revolved with the use of the hand held drill the speedometer in my dash records speed. So the speedometer itself is OK. I believe that the sensor simply is not getting any messages through the purple gear. Has anyone out there encountered a similar problem before?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scott2scott

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott2scottSend a Private Message to Scott2scottEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the gear u feel inside the trans is not suppose to move with your finger . its fixed to the shaft and only moved when the wheels are turning and then mates upto the purple gear at the end of the vvs. so if u can move it with your finger down in there and car not rolling theres your problem. and other idea also did u put the purple gear on the vvs the right way ? that would cause an issue also.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You lost old gear inside trans and didn't remove it then old gear can/will cause problems.

I think the gear will sink in oil when stopped but big gears can stir up whatever and oil.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Gavin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GavinSend a Private Message to GavinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scott2scott:

the gear u feel inside the trans is not suppose to move with your finger . its fixed to the shaft and only moved when the wheels are turning and then mates upto the purple gear at the end of the vvs. so if u can move it with your finger down in there and car not rolling theres your problem. and other idea also did u put the purple gear on the vvs the right way ? that would cause an issue also.

Hello Scott2Scott. Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate the input. I have been hoping for some kind of magical solution but I don't think that is going to happen. I believe that the purple gear is properly affixed to the sensor shaft. I believe what happened is that for whatever reason the gear inside the transmission has become dislodged from its correct location and will not mesh with the purple gear. So my car has no way of knowing how fast it is travelling, which affects other things. The ECM is not getting the velocity message so if it could maximize the fuel/air mix it is not getting the info to do so. I would really like to have a working speedometer but I see no easy solution. I do not have the skills or equipment to get inside the transmission to see if I can get that gear to stay in the correct location on the shaft. It does not seem practical to look for a replacement transmission with the gear in place, just to have a working speedometer again. There comes a point where the value of the repair is not worth the cost involved. If my engine would blow then I guess I would have to replace it and at that time maybe I could justify replacing engine and transmission. I can take a GPS with me on longer trips to have ready info about my speed, to avoid speeding tickets so the speedo thing is really just an inconvenience. I take it you have not heard of this particular problem before.
Gavin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2015 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GavinSend a Private Message to GavinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gavin

15 posts
Member since May 2015
Re losing the purple gear and what might have happened to it: I did not know that there was a gear on the end of the sensor when I removed it for the first time ever to check the transmission fluid level. A little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing. So when I put the sensor with the gear on it back in the hole in the transmission I probably did not do it carefully, which lead to those parts breaking or becoming dislodged. I would not have appreciated at the time that I would be putting a piece of plastic into my transmission, a piece that would get ground up over time. What I still cannot figure out is why my speedometer/odometer worked for a few kilometers after I installed the replacement purple gear. I was really hoping that by sharing my experience I would hear from someone who could say: "That same thing happened to me and here is how I corrected the problem".

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock