Seat belt - Change color by DandRauto
Started on: 05-06-2015 09:47 PM
Replies: 7 (239 views)
Last post by: viperine on 05-08-2015 09:59 PM
DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know this is an old topic, and I did the searches already. But I would like a set of black seat belts.

Has anybody dyed them with acid dye. Found an article that talked about the dye but never said how to do it. Also in some posts people said to send them away to get the webbing replace, but who does that at a decent price. Places I tried contacting say No or that the mecanisms are one of a kind so they can't or will not do them.

Just looking for someone who did it to say where or how
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would talk to a custom interior place about replacing the belts. Dying can degrade the material, I am told.

A good shop should be able to either replace the webbing or cut at sew on a new one near the end (in the mechanism)..... if need be.

theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:
I would talk to a custom interior place about replacing the belts. Dying can degrade the material, I am told.
Yes.
Dying Nylon is often hard on the Nylon. Dying Seat belts can weaken the material. Enough that belts will fail in a wreck.

Even cleaning can damage them. Use Simple Green, Dawn, etc, that removes dirt but won't try to eat the nylon.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Acid dye is meant for nylon and similar materials. Suppose to not be harmful to the belt material (nylon). I know where to buy it and that it is a powder that gets mixed with vinegar (acid). I guess this is like etching the material or like dying Easter eggs. Only the web sites are for women dying nylons, underwear and other garments and material. Don't laugh. They have some wild colors as you might guess. I'm thinking that if it doesn't damage those articles that a thick seat belt would be ok. The article that someone sent me was from a car forum but didn't have any info on doing the seat belts. ONLY said it worked fine, maybe the issue about damaging the belts is nothing but an urban legend. I don't have the link to get back to the car forum that this came from. So that why I asked here. Would really like to know how to do it.

Alternatively, does anybody actually know of someone who re-web their belts and what they charged? Although, I'm not looking to Spend $500 dollars. And finally I guess I could really get by with a good set of Tan original belts, but Black belts is really what I want. My interior is going to be black and tan. My current belts that I have are gray.

Please add your good comment or enjoy that we got women underwear into a forum thread. Also hope I didn't offend any of our female members by saying that.

Rich

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you might be able to find something from another GM vehicle. IIRC, I think I heard S10's might work with some modification to how they mount in the car.
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KissMySSFiero:

you might be able to find something from another GM vehicle. IIRC, I think I heard S10's might work with some modification to how they mount in the car.

The Fiero unit mounts a certain way and you may run into that with another vehicle, but not be able to replicate the angle needed to lock belt on accident.
Chris_narf

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chris_narfSend a Private Message to Chris_narfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming you're driving an 88, your car is about 27 years old. As any fabric ages, it becomes weaker (UV damage anyone?). I would strongly discourage dying the belts, however, it's your car.

When I had mine redone, the local shop charged $95 per side. I heard that at one time there was a group deal for another shop that was around $65 per side. The Fiero Store sells rewebed and mechanically rebuilt seat belts for about $220 if I recall correctly. When you take your belts off, ideally you'll want to use a T47 bit, however, you may have luck with a T50 bit if it's all you have.
------------------
-Chris
'85 V6 SE 4sp (SOLD)
'88 GT - Series 3 SC3800 w/ 3.5" pulley, 1.8" rockers, 3" exhaust, 3.5" intake, 3.29 gearing. Installed and tuned by Sinister Performance
'99 Kawasaki Vulcan 500, owned since new
'09 G37x Sedan w/ Premium & Nav (wife's car)
'13 G37xS Sedan (new daily driver)
'14 Yamaha FJR - 0-60 in 2.8s w/ 34MPG!!!

[This message has been edited by Chris_narf (edited 05-09-2015).]

viperine

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for viperineSend a Private Message to viperineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used RIT dye to restore a badly faded set of black firebird belts. It was a great improvement over the faded old belt, but I wanted more, like the shiny look new belts have, so I wasn't exactly satisfied. I've read on forums that airports are a good place to look for rebuilding belts, apparently most airports have the tools/supplies/equipment to do this task. I never bothered to try after finally tracking down NOS seatbelts for that car. I have rekindled the idea for the fiero as I've already started to give it a black interior treatment. Might be worth a look. Otherwise I may just try SEM fabric paint, they make a really nice selection of rattle can paints and dyes that seem to get the most recommendations.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock