Looking for a replacement engine by petehiggins75
Started on: 05-06-2015 06:19 PM
Replies: 33 (516 views)
Last post by: petehiggins75 on 05-08-2015 10:12 PM
petehiggins75

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am buying an 86 gt for a grand,despite it sat for years,surprisingly there is little rust,interior is nice and has the premium sound package,I do need a motor and will pay to have one shipped.my number is-540.313.2993 or email me at petehiggins75@gmail
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recommend you check craigslist in your area, I see them on a regular basis on craigslist here.
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah,not too many in my area,where are you at in the world?!
Ty for your response
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't take the apparent lack of rust at face value. Pull back your trunk carpet and check your frame rail panels. If you have the trunk mounted fan, pull it off and check behind it. It loves to collect moisture and rust.

as for the motor, finding a 2.8 that isn't beat is hard to do. Most that are pulled have their best days behind them. You might want to find a donor car with a 3800 in it or 3800sc.

That way you can get the wiring harness, and ECM for the switch.

If you want a 2.8 again, be prepared for some engine work. It won't be cheaper than a swap at this point.

------------------

grkboy707

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grkboy707Send a Private Message to grkboy707Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can wait about 2 months, I will have a low mileage 2.8 out of an 87
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Grkboy707
Give me your contact info if you can,mine is in the details
Pete
I can wait
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

petehiggins75

76 posts
Member since Jul 2014
Thanks arns85gt for your input and advice,i will check some things out
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 10:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
petehiggins75 -- Winchester, where? I've got both a 2.8 and a 3.1 (with the ECM and tranny) for sale in Indiana.
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monkey man in peru
I am actually in Kingsport Tennessee.I am wanting the 2.8 preferably
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by petehiggins75:

Monkey man in peru
I am actually in Kingsport Tennessee.I am wanting the 2.8 preferably

Not sure how often you are on the forum but certain 3.1/3.4 engine block interchange with the 2.8 block with the most minor of mods...and you get more power to boot.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah. Tennessee is a bit far from Indiana. Too bad as my motors are going cheap.
PFF
System Bot
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To your response,Monkey man,I woud be willing to pay upwards of$300 for shipping if you would ship
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Monkeyman and lou_dias. A 3.4 from a 93-95 Camaro or Firebird would be easier to find if you don't take grkboy707's engine. The only thing needed would be to drill and tap for the starter on the left side, a flywheel from a 3.1 V6 or an 88 Fiero V6 and change the injectors. The old ones would probably be a problem anyway, due to sitting for so long. Everything from your engine will bolt directly to it, look like a stock engine and give you somewhere near 20 extra horsepower. It will run on your existing ECM and no wiring changes are needed.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

To your response,Monkey man,I woud be willing to pay upwards of$300 for shipping if you would ship

Yes and no. Yes, I'd be willing to but no, I don't have any way to move it out of my garage, put it on a pallet or get it to a shipper. There's a Winchester, Indiana. I figured, if that's where you were from, you could drive up (with 3 of your bestest buddies) and manhandle it into the back of a pick up truck (or on a trailer).

petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Guys,thank u all for your help and responses.i was planning on a dohc tdc but if its simpler to do a camaro 3.4,im all in.plusi can chip it and get a nice exhaust for it,perhaps a flowtech or spintech maybe.thanks again,cheers!!!!
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

petehiggins75

76 posts
Member since Jul 2014
Fierofool
Im confused....you're telling me that a 3.4 pushrod i dont need to cut into the dash wires or change the ecm.because im reading on various sites and getting alot of mixed signals
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

petehiggins75

76 posts
Member since Jul 2014
And i can use stock cv axels on the 3.4??
Just swap the fiero accessories and go.and i can use the stock ecm th
en!?
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3.4 is identical to the 2.8 block. It has different bore and stroke, uses the same heads as a 2.8. The starter is mounted on the right side, necessitating the Rodney Dickman starter relocation tool. Because it generates more horsepower, larger injectors are required. The 2.8 uses 15 lb/hr injectors, the 3.4 needs 17 lb/hr injectors.

Use 2.8 motor and transmission mounts, timing chain cover, water pump, oil pan but it will need a clearance notch cut into a baffle to clear the larger 3.4 pump, same everything else. There's no need to change the drive axles because you aren't changing transmissions. Aside from all Fiero transmissions bolting to all Fiero motors, all left side axles are the same in the Fiero and all right side are the same except that the right side for the automatic is shorter than would be in a manual. All automatic transmissions are the same.

Since everything on the Fiero engine will bolt to the 3.4, no changes are needed throughout the car, except the starter relocation, the injector upgrade, and the notch cut in the oil pan baffle. Should you go that route, I can give you the location and dimensions of the cut-out.

petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 03:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierofool
Thank you so much,I feel like an idiot but you are awesome and I appreciate everyones help on here
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

petehiggins75

76 posts
Member since Jul 2014
Whenever you get a chance,the specs on the cutout would be grateful 😀😀😀
Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah,not too many in my area,where are you at in the world?!
Ty for your response

I live in the Ocala Fl, area
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whenever you get a chance,the specs on the cutout would be grateful 😀😀😀

I made a mistake. I just went out to measure the placement for the notch and found that I have an unmodified pan. I used the pan from the 3.4 on my engine. You can't use the 3.4 pan without changing out your timing chain cover to an 87 or 88 timing cover. The 86 pan and chain have a different shape where they mate at the front.

BTW, if you get back down to Winchester, that isn't far from The Fiero Factory. Parts galore.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 05-08-2015).]

petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok,i may just get a cover from the fiero factory then,that way i wont have to fool with cutting the baffle down.im going to order everything from wcf.conversion gasket set,88 flywheel and so on and soforth,again,thanks for all your help man
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Don't order from WCF. Nothing against them, but just trying to save you some money. You can get everything you need at your local parts store. Give me until late this evening and I can give you all the gasket numbers and maybe even the flywheel number.
dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post05-08-2015 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:
BTW, if you get back down to Winchester, that isn't far from The Fiero Factory. Parts galore.

Winchester, VA is a pretty long drive away from TFF.
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 01:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dobey:

Winchester, VA is a pretty long drive away from TFF.

Winchester, Tennessee. Jack Daniels Country. And I love Winchester, Va. We stay at the Hampton Inn over in the mall area.
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Awesome 😀😀😀😀😀😁
Just a kwik question... When using the 3.4 cammy engine,do i need a ps,ac delete
Thank u for everything
I will keep you in the loop.my address is 1121 e center st Kingsport tn if you're ever in the area
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

petehiggins75

76 posts
Member since Jul 2014
Look forward to ur response
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

petehiggins75

76 posts
Member since Jul 2014
Fiero34swap.eleventent is a really good place to find info on this particular swap.the guy explains step by step,gives part numbers and all the needed info
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I couldn't find that link. That's one I was looking for. I thought we had it on our website.

As promised, the gasket and flywheel numbers. The oil pan gasket set is if you're using an 87 or 88 timing cover and 3.4 oil pan. Otherwise order OS 30512 C which is the listing for the 85 engine. The reason I recommend asking for the 85 pan gasket set is because some of the listings are incorrect due to 86 being a crossover year on some parts.

TCS 45828 Timing Cover Set Includes Water Pump Gasket.
MS 93045 Exhaust Manifold Gasket Set.
VS 50077 R Valve Cover Set--Cork Valve Cover Gaskets Also Come In The Intake Manifold Set, But Aren't Used On The Fiero.
MS 93020 Intake Manifold Set, Includes Lower, Intermediate, and Upper Gaskets.
OS 34501 R Oil Pan Set
BS 40626 Rear Main Bearing Seal. Always replace this seal when you have the opportunity.

LUK Flywheel, 91 Beretta GT 3.1 V6, Advance Auto Part # LFW 162

There is no need to purchase head gaskets unless you plan to remove the heads from the 3.4 engine. There's no real need to remove them unless you have them rebuilt. So that you don't have to readjust the valves, before removing the lower intake on the engine, acquire a pushrod removal tool made by Lisle Tools. Part # 48500
http://www.lislecorp.com/di...roducts/?product=298

Power Steering has no input to the ECM, so that's not a factor. AC also has no input to the ECM. Remember, what you're doing with a 3.4 swap is just installing a bigger 2.8. You can almost get a 3.4 out of your old 2.8 by boring and stroking it. Except for the starter relocation, it's the same engine.
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Do i need to replace the harmonic balancer.
Thanks
PFF
System Bot
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

petehiggins75

76 posts
Member since Jul 2014
I think im just going to use the 3.4 pan and get an 87 or 88 timing cover.so i also have to remove the pushrods.i hate to be a pain but im dyslexic so i apologize and thanks so much for taking time out to help me out,thanks and god bless,cheers
fierofool

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can use your 2.8 harmonic balancer. If you obtain a new 3.4 balancer, you will need to have new timing marks cut to match the position of the 2.8 marks.

You will have to remove the pushrods in order to install the Fiero lower intake manifold and gaskets. The pushrod removal tool will allow you to remove them and replace them without loosening the rocker arms.

You would be wise to use the 3.4 pan from your donor engine. The timing cover must still be replaced with one from an 87 or 88 Fiero. The 87 and 88 used a rubber gasket. The 85 and 86 used a cork gasket and the design of the pan and timing cover were prone to leaking oil.

I recommend replacing your old injectors with a set of rebuilt injectors. BMW Fuel Injector (M50 S50 M52 S52) - Bosch 13641730060. Use 0280150415 for flow reference

NEW Bosch "green tip" injector. The green tip indicates a 17 lb injector needed for the 3.4. You can get them from Fuel Injector Connection at http://fuelinjectorconnection.com/shop/

I've tried the Mustang 302 injectors and the stock injectors that came in the 3.4 and had problems with both. Others might recommend Accel or other brands. I can't say they're good or bad since I have no experience with those. I just know from experience that the Bosch BMW injectors are working well for a good number of us down here.
petehiggins75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for petehiggins75Click Here to visit petehiggins75's HomePageSend a Private Message to petehiggins75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man,thank you so much for all your help,I greatly appreciate it and I will let you know how its going
Thanks bud😃😃

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock