87 GT not starting by b1ue87fier0
Started on: 05-05-2015 04:07 PM
Replies: 7 (150 views)
Last post by: b1ue87fier0 on 05-06-2015 01:16 PM
b1ue87fier0

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for b1ue87fier0Send a Private Message to b1ue87fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Having an Issue starting my car. Heres a little background. Changed alternator and belt after pulling into a gas station and car not starting and when jump started would die in just a few mins. Car drove fine for a couple months after the dreaded alternator replacement until about a month ago. I could jump my car off and it wouldnt start and run fine then start for 3-4 times until it doesnt start again. So I had the battery tested at autozone and they said the battery was bad. Today I got a new battery and putting it in noticed the red cable had a bare spot and looked like part of the wire could be damaged. I guess my question is would that create the issue I am having and also what all am I looking into replacing these cables?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum!

Worn spots on cables could cause your problems....and may be discharging your battery. You should replace them.
b1ue87fier0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for b1ue87fier0Send a Private Message to b1ue87fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How hard of a Job is this to do and also you have any recomendation on who to get the cables from?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's a common cable on many GM vehicles. RockAuto has them at close-out for $3 plus shipping! Local parts stores should have them too.
How easy is it? Well.....do you like getting greasy? You have to get the car up in the air and get under the engine.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-05-2015).]

b1ue87fier0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for b1ue87fier0Send a Private Message to b1ue87fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply. I can usually do must things by myself, but if it has to be lifted it might be time to take it to the ole shop. haha
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is really easy to replace the battery and ground. Jack up the passenger side of the car to access the starter. Which is where the positive cable leads to. The starter solenoid nut is a 16mm most of the time.

The ground is at the back of the engine near the behind the dipstick. You can reach it from the top with the trunk open. Its a 15mm bolt.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieromatty:

It is really easy to replace the battery and ground. Jack up the passenger side of the car to access the starter....

Please please please do not rely on just a jack while working under any car!
b1ue87fier0

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for b1ue87fier0Send a Private Message to b1ue87fier0Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh yeah I do know that much haha thanks for all the help though guys. I'm hoping after the cable replacement all engine issues will be resolved. Then it will be time to take her to the body shop since my dumbass neighbor backed into me.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock