Piolet Bearing removal by Tracker
Started on: 05-04-2015 12:32 PM
Replies: 7 (290 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 05-06-2015 09:21 AM
Tracker

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrackerSend a Private Message to TrackerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trying to remove pilot bearing from 1984 4spd tranny in 84 Fiero. I am origional owner. Have tranny out and clutch off. I can't get the old pilot bearing.

I have rented a slide hammer tool from O'Reilly's. It has a 5 lb slider and an Everr Tough attachment to hook on to the pilot bearing. It has two hardened steel claws that grab on to the back of the pilot bearing. After you slide the claws through the bearing, you screw the threaded back of the tool in to spread the claws.

The problem is, the claws seem to work fairly well. Lots of hard slams with the slider, but no movement of bearing. Now am cutting groves in the bearing. Have used penetrating oil for two days, no help.

any suggestions on how to get it out.

Tracker
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
StreetRod4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StreetRod4Send a Private Message to StreetRod4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Collapse it with a chisel and pull it out in pieces
gen2muchwork

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gen2muchworkSend a Private Message to gen2muchworkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
An old teacher of mine packed the hole full of grease, used a rod of the same diameter as the pilot shaft, hit it into the crank and the hydraulic force shot the bearing out. it was a neat trick for sure.
edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a number of threads, like: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-103015.html and https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-055219.html
which indicate that the Fiero does not have a Pilot Bearing.
LFiero67

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LFiero67Send a Private Message to LFiero67Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pilot bushing is not used on fwd trans in Fiero, leave the old one in or get it out and don't worry about it. Input shaft of trans is not long enough to reach crank shaft, and has no pilot on shaft at all to engage in a bushing.

------------------
10.263 @ 134.44MPH - 1.49 60'
Billet 6262 Precision turbo, PT1001 intercooler, ST1 cam, 130lb springs, comp pushrods, HV3, ARP Rod bolts, otherwise stock L36.

Old M90 XP Cam time -
11.425 @115.60
1.543 60'

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 03:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tracker:

any suggestions on how to get it out.

I guess we're wondering... why?
84fiero123

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84fiero123Send a Private Message to 84fiero123Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gen2muchwork:

An old teacher of mine packed the hole full of grease, used a rod of the same diameter as the pilot shaft, hit it into the crank and the hydraulic force shot the bearing out. it was a neat trick for sure.

Ditto "Old school rules" although in my case I am usually the one telling that very same story of how you can quickly and easily remove a pilot bushing.

Steve

------------------
Technology is great when it works,
and one big pain in the ass when it doesn't

Detroit iron rules all the rest are just toys.

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The clutch kits are a little deceptive as related to the Fiero. Since the plate and disk have a number of applications, the new pilot bearing is included. There's no need to remove the old one, but if you just must, the alignment tool that comes with a clutch kit is actually designed for this purpose. Remove the loop/ball on the end of the tool. Pack the flywheel cavity with heavy grease and insert the end of the alignment tool into the flywheel cavity. Smack the end of the tool with a good rubber mallet or dead blow hammer. In a crunch, I've also used deep well sockets on an extension. Never use a standard socket because it can get inside of some flywheels, requiring you to remove the flywheel. Wooden dowels are discouraged, too because they splinter. Deep well sockets can also be used to align a clutch disk in the absence of an alignment tool.

You can place a few chips of dry ice inside the bearing, repeating several times as it melts, then the slider hammer might work for you.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock