Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  My 2.8's distributor gets so hot you can fry an egg on it (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
My 2.8's distributor gets so hot you can fry an egg on it by Rich Truett
Started on: 05-03-2015 06:37 PM
Replies: 60 (994 views)
Last post by: Rich Truett on 05-10-2015 04:22 PM
Neils88

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just because it comes from China doesn't mean it's automatically crap. There are many Chinese companies that produce extremely well engineered and constructed products, backed up with awesome technical support and great warranty service. Likewise, because it is made in North America doesn't automatically mean it's a quality product. A little research will usually help determine which products meet the standard.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 05-05-2015).]

IP: Logged
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Just because it comes from China doesn't mean it's automatically crap. There are many Chinese companies that use extremely well engineered and constructed products, backed up with awesome technical support and great warranty service. Likewise, because it is made in North America doesn't automatically mean it's a quality product. A little research will usually help determine which products meet the standard.

The above statement is very true! Many USA owned companies invested in and or opened production facilities 'off shore'. These factories can and do product high quality products to the specifications required by the owner companies. Many price point items are still sourced from independently owned manufactures and may or may not be up to OE standards. Like anything done anywhere but especially off shore, owners / management must be diligent in insuring corners are not cut. Think Lumber Liquidators!
Rich Truett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tonight I wrapped the crossover pipe in header wrap.
That should reduce heat in the distributor area.

Here's a photo of my engine...
https://www.facebook.com/ph...15630&type=1&theater

[This message has been edited by Rich Truett (edited 05-05-2015).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
HS grease see //www.fiero.nl/forum/F.../HTML/135059.html#p6

Originally posted by Rich Truett:

Wrapping might save the ICM etc but can cause the pipe to crack/break.

Missing/damage heat shield(s) can cause ICM etc to over heat and fry.

The tach filter is known for problem often causing ICM and/or Coil failures.
Iffy ICM screws can cause Poor ground for ICM.
Iffy coil can overheat the ICM by drawing more amps.
See my Cave, HE Ignition

Originally posted by fierogt28:
If you use AC Delco parts, there's no reason to have issues with you ignition system.
Anything electrical / ignition for the fiero, go AC Delco.
Something is definitely wrong here if the system is acting poorly or blowing components.
Having no name or cheap brands mixed with good brands, don't expect reliability of your system.

And others...
ACDelco and NAPA does not make parts. Both just reband whatever like Kenmore appliance. Ignition parts are Standard or Wells.

Originally posted by olejoedad:
Platinum plugs should NOT be run - use copper core ACDelco only.
Throw the MSD stuff in the trash.

Many Platinum plugs are fine w/ HEI systems. DIS2 (is on 87-88 Duke and others) hates some types like Bosch +2 & +4 will cause problem very fast.
Most MSD and Accel "performance" parts are made in China Mexico and other places. Many people won't buy their products because of problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2015 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Neils88:

Just because it comes from China doesn't mean it's automatically crap. There are many Chinese companies that produce extremely well engineered and constructed products, backed up with awesome technical support and great warranty service. Likewise, because it is made in North America doesn't automatically mean it's a quality product. A little research will usually help determine which products meet the standard.

I totally agree...there some very good stuff that's made in China, but there's a lot of crap.

The way I see it is, yes...there are plenty of the CEOs or management that take their products to be made in China due to one thing, money.
They can get it made cheap there, and make more profit here. The problem is the management, CEOs, or accountants and controllers are aiming
high for one thing that matters in the world, again...money. These people don't understand the process or making stuff, they are not mechanics, electricians,
trades people, etc. They aren't the ones that install these parts, or care how they work, all they care is profit. They have no knowledge about the technical
aspects that will destroy their name, because if they see other people doing it, they will follow...and that leads to money. They only care about the dollar sign.
Once people will get the message after many more years, most likely customers will avoid Chinese made crap because they have been screwed too many times.
They will learn after spending thousands of dollars on cheap parts and finally avoid the Chinese made items. The company reps, CEOs, management, controllers, accountants
will see there products starting to pile up and see that nobody wants their stuff. Then there will be a turn around in the company. Realistically, its us the dumb ones
that are getting the shaft, and they keep ringing in the profits. I will buy some stuff from china, but once its for automotive, or industrial, electrical, the product will stay there
and I will support the north American market. Europe has many outlets that have very good products too.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 06:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Its hard to tell for sure but it looks like part of the heat shield is missing?? I don't see the vertical part that is next to the distributor on my V6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierogt28:

I totally agree...there some very good stuff that's made in China, but there's a lot of crap.

Yep.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

43222 posts
Member since May 2007

Originally posted by Csjag:

Its hard to tell for sure but it looks like part of the heat shield is missing?? I don't see the vertical part that is next to the distributor on my V6

I think so too.
This pic has a shield:

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rich is your car an automatic or a manual transmission?
Rich Truett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is an automatic.

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It is an automatic.

If you haven't already I recommend that you drain the fluid and replace it with Dexron VI. Dexron VI runs cooler and works better in the automatic
PFF
System Bot
Rich Truett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Decent progress tonight.

The header wrap reduced the temp in the engine bay near the distributor.
The indicated temp on the gauge was at least three segments down from usual.
I did use the Radio Shack Heat Sink -- white -- Impossible to tell if that, the header wrap or the AC Delco plugs, or a combination of the three, made things better

The idle still wanders a bit when the car sits in drive at a red light after about 2 minutes. And on a hot summer day, I suspect that the problem will still be there severe enough for a stall.

Up next: Change to AC Delco ICM and pickup coil. And change trans fluid to the cooler style in the previous post.

That just may do it...

Rich
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good to hear.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You could add the stock heat shield too.
Rich Truett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All factory heat shields are in place and in good condition.
None are missing.

Thanks,
Rich
Grizz54

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2015 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Grizz54Send a Private Message to Grizz54Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just a little more parts quality info. Indak, a company based in India, made most of the switches for the Echlin line, NAPA's brand for many years. To meet the price point of O'reilly's, Advance Auto's, Autozone's, etc, Echlin went south of the border. Consumer confidence hit rock bottom. A few years back, Echlin regrouped. Although for whatever reason, you probably can't find the same quality parts that you could 30 years ago, Echlin today is top of the line. So if you hear from someone that Echlin is a poor quality product, they probably haven't bought Echlin in the last ten years.

------------------
"To err is human" Nuff Said!

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Better heat transfer from the ICM to the distributor (ie better heat transfer paste) will make the outside of the distributor hotter, not cooler.
Rich Truett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heat -- no matter where it comes from -- is the enemy for the ICM and electrical components in general.
GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you actually taken the distributor out and made sure the shaft rotates freely? I was cooking modules like crazy and the base plate of the dist would glow red. Turns out it was warped/bent and friction was heating it up.
lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2015 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rich, if you want someone to put a second set of eyes on it and troubleshoot it, PM me here. I am in an Oakland county suburb.

"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it." - Spicoli 1982
Rich Truett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2015 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rich TruettSend a Private Message to Rich TruettEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you, LateFormula. I may accept that offer.

I had the car out on Woodward today and the latest ICM, installed Tuesday, blew out. Car died right at the corner of 12 and Woodward, so, I coasted into the cemetery parking lot and swapped it for an ICM that works.

That got me home.

I removed the distributor. I am replacing it. I found a reman AC/Delco on fleabay for $136 shipped and that will have the AC Delco pickup module and ICM, so not a bad deal.

The distributor did not spin as easily as I had expected and there was quite a bit of rust inside it.

So, maybe that has something to do with the car's troubles.

I'll know in a few days...

Rich
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors