Remove Headlight Motor Fuse? by coltonandrew
Started on: 05-03-2015 05:36 PM
Replies: 5 (133 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 05-03-2015 11:22 PM
coltonandrew

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 05:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Currently, my drivers side headlight motor is burnt out on my 86 i4 2.5. I'm getting tired of cranking it up and down by hand. I'm thinking for the time being, due to budget concerns, I would like to just set both lights open and remove the head light motor fuse so they're constantly up, but not on. Is there a simple to reach fuse or relay for these to pull?

I know the cooling relay runs beside the headlights, I don't want to accidentally disconnect that and I can't seem to get a clear indication of which relay would stop the passenger side motor from dropping when the lights are turned off.

Thank you in advance!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look to the inboard side of the headlight assembly and you will find a single blue wire with a barrel connector. Disconnect the barrel connector. Then insert a ball point pen into the little dimple in the knob on top of the motor. Spin the knob in the direction the arrow indicates to open the headlight. It will stay up, even if the headlight switch is turned off.
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yay that's simple! It seems like I would do this, but I want to be sure; I leave the barrel connector disconnected after setting the head light open, right?
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

coltonandrew

65 posts
Member since Mar 2015
Well I did this and now my car wont start? no fuel pump sound, no starter click nothing but a lit dashboard. The dash lights do dim when I turn the key to start it.
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

coltonandrew

65 posts
Member since Mar 2015
It fired up. I didn't secure the ground cable well enough after the electrical work haha
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 11:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If at any time you decide to reconnect the barrel connector, be sure your light switch is ON, otherwise the headlight could suddenly close, maybe cutting off a finger.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock