2.8 dies after idle by fieromatty
Started on: 05-03-2015 05:34 PM
Replies: 8 (216 views)
Last post by: fieromatty on 05-06-2015 01:30 AM
fieromatty

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone.

I finally got my motor in the car. I have it started and no more leaks. I am now having a problem with the engine dying if you open the throttle too quickly or if I shift it into gear. I am guessing that I am having a fuel issue?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
coltonandrew

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coltonandrewSend a Private Message to coltonandrewEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's what it sounds like to me. Auto or 5 speed?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the vacuum lines around the MAP.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I checked the map. It appears to be good. Its an auto.
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2015 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It idle fine if I just leave it.
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Starting to think I have a bad map sensor. I just replace the connector for it. I am getting a code 34.

How do i test it? Should I just replace it?
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is a pretty good MAP sensor testing site.

http://easyautodiagnostics....or-multimeter-test-1
fieromatty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2015 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieromattySend a Private Message to fieromattyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have a vacuum pump. So testing the vacuum with the volt meter is difficult

I did break out my volt meter and do as much as I could with what I had. Here is what I found out.

Pin A (Which is the red wire) is exactly 5.01 volts dc. (this looks good)
Pin C (which is a black wire) is a ground (also good 12v to battery positive)

On to pin B (Green wire) which is the one that changes in response to vacuum.

With the key to the run position but the engine off. Pin B is putting out 1.25volts dc. From what I am reading, It should read close to 5 volts at this point.

When I start the engine and check pin B, I get some weird behavior.

The voltage at pin B likes to hang around 3.5 volts with the engine spinning about 1500 rpms. (It was cold when I started my test combined with this problem I am having)

When I open the throttle... It never drops bellow 3.5 volts; however, I did see it jump to 4.5 volts sporadically. Theoretically, as vacuum increases, so should resistance at pin B?

Do you think I have a bad map sensor? I think I do but just want confirmation before I go throw another 40 bucks at the problem.

Some information. I deleted my EGR and have a reprogrammed PROM installed from phonedawgs to delete the solenoid and lower stock idle. The engine is timed 10deg advanced. I have not had this new motor on the road yet.

Thanks for the help.
-Matty

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock