Started on: 04-29-2015 06:20 PM
Replies: 7 (230 views)
Last post by: dennis_6 on 04-30-2015 04:38 PM
dennis_6

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 115
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1985 Fiero S/E 2m4 Auto. Leaking from front passenger wheel well, doesn't appear to be coming from coolant pipe, any ideas?.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 06:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
heater hose. maybe it's running forward a bit.
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heater core. or hose to heater core.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Heater core was replaced less than a month ago, hope it isn't it.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

Heater core was replaced less than a month ago, hope it isn't it.

aaaa....Ha! check those hose clamps. Crud in the hose can prevent the clamp from sealing.
dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

aaaa....Ha! check those hose clamps. Crud in the hose can prevent the clamp from sealing.

Not finding anything to prevent sealing, gonna try bypassing heater core and see what I get.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dennis_6:

... gonna try bypassing heater core and see what I get.

Careful... I collapsed my thermostat by using a heater core bypassing coupling with an inside diameter which was too small/restrictive.

Originally posted by Patrick in This thread:

Back in the summertime, my heater core started leaking. I didn't need the heater at the time, so while I was tracking down a new core, I bypassed the leaking heater core by disconnecting the two rubber hoses from the core and re-connecting them to each other. However, between the two hoses I used a fitting which had a very small passageway for the coolant to go through. When I got the new heater core, I flushed out my system and I was very surprised at that time to discover my thermostat looked much like it does in the picture above. I didn't understand at the time what the heck had happened to the thermostat, so I just bent it back into shape and re-installed it. Unknown to me until the cold snap here revealed a problem, the thermostat arms bent again from "normal" water pressure in the system (because the thermostat "arms" were now weak from being previously bent).

So in retrospect it's now easy to figure out what happened. The fitting I used to temporarily connect the two heater hoses to each other restricted the coolant flow way too much and this resulted in higher than normal coolant pressure pushing against the thermostat. The long thermostat "arms" therefore bent.

Lesson learned!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-30-2015).]

dennis_6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dennis_6Send a Private Message to dennis_6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Thanks for the heads up, I will probably just pull the thermostat, Car was leaking wear hard heater core lines met the rubber. Don't need a heater core in summer, so I have some time to get it fixed.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock