Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How do you remove the decklid and torsion spring?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How do you remove the decklid and torsion spring? by Monkeyman
Started on: 04-29-2015 06:57 AM
Replies: 11 (1066 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 05-02-2015 05:16 PM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I know. Yet another question.

How do I remove the decklid (fastback, if it matters) and the torsion spring (hopefully, without shattering the rear window)? Can it be done with one person? I have no problem removing the wing first. Seems I remember that there are only 4 bolts holding the decklid to the brackets but I don't want to remove those just to hear a "CRASH" as the assembly hits the window. No idea how to remove the torsion spring.

TIA!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No need to remove the wing. You stand a chance of damaging the stand if there's a problem with the mounting studs. You can remove the decklid without removing the torsion spring. Unplug the trunk light/trunk release harness at the right hinge and if 86 or 87, disconnect the ground wire on the left side. Get a long support to put in the trunk and support the deck lid.

There are two bolts on either side where the lifting bracket bolts to the decklid. Remove the two bolts nearest the trunk first. Then one at a time, remove the other two nearest the window. By doing this, the lifting bracket won't hit the window.

If you want to re-tension your springs or remove the hinges entirely, maybe this link will help, but I recommend placing several 2 x 4's across the width of the rear window in case anything gets loose, the springs don't break out the rear window. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...040223-2-043677.html

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 04-29-2015).]

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You want to remove the deck lid/engine cover correct? I have done that a hand full of times. Put the deck lid in up position and remove the 4 bolts, take the deck lid off. Will want to hold on to the deck lid while removing the bolts. Like I said this old guy has done it. I like to mark were the hinge was with chalk before removing to ease installation and alignment when installing. It is easier with two people but I don't have that luxury, My wife can not lift things. Remove the springs? Well that is a different story. The shop manual has a good procedure. If you don't have a shop manual, I would try the search feature here on the forum and I bet you will find a great "how to" Or I can scan the shop manual and email it to you.
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take off decklid (2 bolts each side) and set it aside.
There's a "safe" method to protect the window and remove torsion springs.

From the Body Section of the Service Manual.
http://calgaryfieros.com/DOWNLOADS/BodyManual.pdf

------------------
Calgary time/temp

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT Click me
Super Duty 4 Indy #163 Click me

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 04-29-2015).]

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I am amazed that the Service Manual condones the use of a Metal Pipe (and not some special, expensive 'Dealer' tool.)
1fast2m4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1fast2m4Send a Private Message to 1fast2m4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A metal pipe & Plywood!!!!! that's awesome !

------------------
1986 SE 3800SC/4t65eHD (12.871@104.96)
HX-40, FrozenBoost I/C, 80lb injectors & E85 Coming soon.....

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks. I'm replacing the wing stands (mine are cracked) and installing one of Rodney Dickmans decklid struts. No need for the torsion bar set up after that.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 02:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've removed and replaced decklids on Fieros more times than I can remember over the years, and never had a problem, but...

Make sure the "safety" cable (or whatever it's called) on each bracket is sound. If one or both of these cables were to let go after you've removed the four bolts holding the decklid to the two brackets (and you've pulled the decklid out of there), the torsion of the springs would violently send the bracket(s) independently into the rear window.
Fierotoyboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotoyboySend a Private Message to FierotoyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Re: Rodney's strut: With a wing, assuming you have a stock engine and have attachment points on both sides, you might want to go with two struts, one on each side. Makes for a nice balanced lift., and a pair will last a lot longer. Make sure to tell Rodney what your needs are - he will custom-pressure the strut(s) if you ask him to.
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2015 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierotoyboy:

Re: Rodney's strut: With a wing, assuming you have a stock engine and have attachment points on both sides, you might want to go with two struts, one on each side. Makes for a nice balanced lift., and a pair will last a lot longer. Make sure to tell Rodney what your needs are - he will custom-pressure the strut(s) if you ask him to.

I have a 3800. I don't think I can put a strut on the passenger side. The decklid is already cut out for the alternator.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still not quite sure how to do this but I've got the decklid off and a piece of 2x6 in front of the rear window so I guess I'll wing it. It looks like I have security bolts (torx with a center pin) holding the torsion bars in place on the brackets. Not sure how I'll remove those and no pipe but we'll see. I guess the worst that happens is I drive around without a decklid for a while until I figure it out, eh?
PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2015 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999
Done. I guess I didn't realize I had to take the hinges off. Once I did that, it was easy. I think I could have done it without the 2x6 but I'm glad I didn't take a chance.

Thanks for all the help, guys!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock