Started on: 04-28-2015 10:23 PM
Replies: 20 (392 views)
Last post by: Monkeyman on 05-20-2015 06:31 AM
Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anybody know what this hose/connection goes to? Am I missing something?

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by tshark (edited 09-08-2018).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dunno. The car isn't quite what I expected it to be but I have it and I'll do whatever I need to to make it a great car. Lots of problems to work out but it is what it is.
seajai

Feedback score:    (42)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you crawled under the car to see where it leads? Maybe something the PO added, doesn't look factory because it has a compression fitting on it. GM never used compression fittings on their lines from the factory.

Also, you need to resize your images before posting so they don't end up so huge on the screen.

Resized:

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 04-28-2015).]

tshark

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tsharkSend a Private Message to tsharkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:
Dunno. The car isn't quite what I expected it to be but I have it and I'll do whatever I need to to make it a great car. Lots of problems to work out but it is what it is.

Sorry. That came out wrong. I didn't intend to put down your car. Of course, we'll fix problems as they arise. Just don't blow into that line. Is it possible the car had power steering at one point?
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tshark:

Sorry. That came out wrong. I didn't intend to put down your car. Of course, we'll fix problems as they arise. Just don't blow into that line. Is it possible the car had power steering at one point?

No need to be sorry, my friend. I doubt it ever had p/steering although that's a cool thought.

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeyman

15810 posts
Member since Nov 1999

Originally posted by seajai:

Have you crawled under the car to see where it leads? Maybe something the PO added, doesn't look factory because it has a compression fitting on it. GM never used compression fittings on their lines from the factory.

Also, you need to resize your images before posting so they don't end up so huge on the screen.

Resized:

Thanks for resizing that. I have not crawled under the car yet although I probably should. Every time I hit a bump, it sounds like it's going to rattle parts off.

I don't know anything about compression fittings but it looks like there are 4 cutouts where those brake lines come through. There are 3 brake lines plus whatever this is and, since it looks like it's pretty close to the brake m/c, I thought it might be part of the braking system. Maybe not.
DKcustoms

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKcustomsSend a Private Message to DKcustomsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the car automatic or manual?

I could be wrong, but I think that 3 of the lines are for the brakes (2 for the front, 1 for the rear that splits later) and then the 4th line is usually the clutch line.
Both of my cars are manual and I think that's how it is, but I haven't looked that close.

Until I look at my car(s) in the morning, I think it used to be the clutch line.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a pic of my car. It's an 88 with an auto trans.

The extra opening in the grommet is for the clutch line on a manual transmission car.

A compression fitting is used to repair or join cut sections of steel line together. They cannot be used on high pressure hydraulic lines because they may leak or blow off. Check this out: https://www.google.com/?gws...=compression+fitting

[This message has been edited by seajai (edited 04-29-2015).]

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Odd. I've got a 5 speed so it's definitely NOT for the clutch line.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeyman:

Odd. I've got a 5 speed so it's definitely NOT for the clutch line.

hmmm. Can you post a pic of the clutch master cylinder and the line connected to it and its routing?

Found this pic of what it should look like, you can see the end hole with the clutch line running through it.

PFF
System Bot
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the clutch m/c. Nothing on the front of it. I have no idea what that black goop is.

The line from the top of the clutch m/c goes down under the car. I guess this isn't normal??

Different subject but there's a mass of wiring next to the drivers side headlight assembly (I assume for the HIDs which I plan on ditching sooner rather than later). There's a single red wire that runs through the firewall (sealed with that same black goop).

seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It is possible your car was converted to a manual at some point, the clutch line is not supposed to run through the spare tire tub. Are there cooler lines hooked up to your radiator?
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't SEE any ports for a tranny cooler but at this point, anything's possible.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
what year is your car?
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 01:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
'87. That's something I actually think is right as the body panels are VIN tagged and the title shows '87.
seajai

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seajaiSend a Private Message to seajaiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It looks like the clutch master cylinder you have is for an 84-86.

This one lists for 86-88

Must have been a mid-year change in 1986.

You can see how the line routs with the aluminum master cylinder. Looks like your next step is to get under the car and see what havoc has been wrought by the previous owner(s).

Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't know what to look for. Even if it's all jacked up, I don't know what I could do about it. I wonder if having a Spec 3+ clutch and a 3800 has anything to do with it.
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That means nothing. Personally I would go to a wrecker and get a complete clutch line. Yours was home made.

------------------

KillerFrogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 03:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks like someone did some... interesting.. clutch hydraulic work. The line by the brake grommet is, was, the original clutch line. And maybe some electrical work on par with it as well but that is beside the point. The goop on the clutch master gives me the heebie-jeebies as well. Is it soft and squishy or more like a heavy epoxy/JBWeld? Either way there was a reason it was put on, and when it comes to systems like this that is ALWAYS a bad reason.

I would highly consider looking at replacing the clutch master and doing a new fitting at the master. If there was sealer put on the fitting it was either leaking from a bad flare on the line or from the threads on the master are stripped. The line? Follow it ALL of the way to the back, check for splices or compression fittings or what ever and if they are at all sketchy, same, re-do/replace. I would not replace the line outright unless there are major issues with the line as a unit.

Good luck!
Monkeyman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2015 06:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nothing surprises me on this car anymore. More stuff has been "backwoods engineered" than any car I've had. I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble of using an early clutch master cylinder and doing their own clutch line but I'll add that to my ever growing list of things that need to be reworked/fixed.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock