Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What turbo would you choose for an L67 on a clean slate build?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What turbo would you choose for an L67 on a clean slate build? by carwhisperer
Started on: 04-28-2015 03:49 PM
Replies: 1 (165 views)
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 04-28-2015 06:54 PM
carwhisperer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carwhispererSend a Private Message to carwhispererEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm considering different turbo choices for my L67. I plan to keep the stock long block for now but would consider rocker arms, springs and maybe head studs. I would like to make low to mid 20's for boost. Not sure what injectors yet. I'd be pretty happy with 350rwhp. I ran a Holset HX35W on a Ford 2.3 turbo a few years back. It seemed very well matched to that motor. I suspect it would be big enough for what I'm doing now. I'm planning to make my own exhaust, starting with SLP headers. I was thinking the twin scroll of the HX35 would be cool because I could route each bank to a scroll. Right now I'm leaning toward water/meth spray only, no IC. Bigger injectors of course. 255 lph pump.

I see HX35W copies on ebay for $280 shipped. Then I could get a GT3xx copies for as little as $200. I have always thought Holsets were really good turbos but if I'm buying a Chinese knock off maybe I should consider something else? I'd like to spend less than $300 for the turbo itself. I am willing to accept some lag for higher total horsepower. This will be driven on the street. I never found the lag of the Ford motor to be a problem. That was in a 2400 pound car though. This car will probably be 2600-2800 pounds. I think I ran the 12cm exhaust housing. This will be a street car with an automatic.

What are your thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I suggest contacting darkhorizon (Scott). He has probably more experience running a 3800 turbo engine than anyone else here. He has also run the best times. Have not seen him post lately but he probably still reads the forum.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Powerlog manifold, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Flotech Afterburner Exhaust, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock