Attaching sail panels...fail by lorennerol
Started on: 04-28-2015 03:49 PM
Replies: 16 (535 views)
Last post by: TXGOOD on 05-21-2015 09:53 PM
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I sadly lost a NOS sail panel off my just out of paint Fiero today. It disappeared while my daughter was driving the car on the freeway.

The original foam tape wasn't very sticky so the shop added a thin double-sided tape layer to it. Both came loose so they tried butyl. Now one is gone and I'm not feeling very good about the other side.

Has anyone else had problem keeping them affixed to the car? Is the double-sided 3M foam tape the best product to use?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The notchie sail panels are also supposed to be held on with a nut on the inside of the pillar.

EDIT: Maybe you should say what we're dealing with (notchie vs fastback) so that assumptions (on my part) aren't made.

Originally posted by lorennerol:

Is the double-sided 3M foam tape the best product to use?

If I recall, there are several thicknesses (and widths) of double-sided 3M foam tape. The correct one needs to be used. Someone here will know.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-28-2015).]

lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My car is an 87 GT.

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3M with red peel off is amazingly sticky, I think it could remove paint before coming off.

http://www.autogeek.net/3m-auto-tape.html
hookdonspeed

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i have not been able to keep mine on either. i havent tried a new roll of the 3m tape yet tho.
Chelo Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 05:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chelo FieroClick Here to visit Chelo Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Chelo FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently used the 3M super strong in my gt with a fiberglass sails. Did a trip up the Highway at 85mph!!! And worked great!!! Good product so far.
Domtech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DomtechSend a Private Message to DomtechEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 3M tape with the Red backing is 3M VHB (Very High Bond), I use it all the time at work.
It Is incredibly sticky to the point that I would almost worry about it pulling paint off, but not quite.
The grey version is what is currently holding the panels onto my car.
I have seen it in a variety of thicknesses in black, clear, and grey.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, all. Looks like the 3M tape comes in 45 and 90 mil thicknesses.

The 4991 SKU is the 90 mil stuff. Does this look like the right stuff?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0...PO/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

There is also this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM...em1e9dcb49b2&vxp=mtr
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you make sure the leading edge was sealed to the car with black silicone? Notice the silicone bead that is left over on my car just behind the drivers door. That keeps air from getting under the front edge and prying the sail panel off of the vehicle. Also put some silicone on the other flat spot that I marked with the arrow.

Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man.... I hate to here that, I am getting ready to do mine when the weather warms up

I think ebay gtfiero is a member here, and I believe the stuff in his ebay auction is the correct tape to use from what I've read on the forum. on the few I've done in the past I always let it sit in the sun, or warm garage, and not drive it for 24 hours.

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2015 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my experience you can stick the tape to itself to build it up higher if you need to.
PFF
System Bot
Custom2M4

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine didn't have to have the wind remove them. Just opening my door a few times did. The fitment sucked to the point that the window on both doors grabbed the corner of the sails and started to peel them back!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2015 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The VHB tape with the red liner comes in two varieties. One is a solid strip of rubber and is used for holding body side moldings and emblems on the vehicle. The other is actually a thin foam tape and is what should be used on the fastback quarter windows. Years ago, I purchased NOS windows for my 87 and the original windows I removed were held on with foam tape, and the new windows I bought form GM dealers had a pre-applied foam tape, but it had a white liner. Both windows are still firmly attached to my 87.

The windows for my brother's car came from Chris Cook, who advertises that he provides the correct tape. I believe it had a red liner and was of the foam variety. My brother's windows have been on his car for maybe 3 years, without problems. I believe Paul McKibben at Fierosails.com may offer the correct tape as a stand-alone product.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to use the foam tape. For extra measure, I locked mine in with a permanent bead of black silicone the whole way around. Use masking tape 1/8" in from the edge of window, and 1/8" outside of the seam. Run a bead of silicone all the way around and IMMEDIATELY wipe your finger along it the whole way around without stopping ONE TIME. IMMEDIATELY remove both strips of tape and repeat on other side. You will have about a 1/4" black even seal completely around it. When done right, it looks like a factory seal all the way around, and it dont weep water at the seam after a rain or wash. Let it dry a day before driving. The window will not come out unless its cut out.
lorennerol

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good advice. I did put a bead along the leading edge to keep air out from under it, but not the rest. I also used the gray 3M VHB tape with the red peel-off for the perimeter, and some thicker 120 mil white 3M foam tape for the raised painted areas.

So far, so good.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The OEM windows come with a strip of tape along the front edge and on the flat panel area marked in IMSA GT's picture as well as around the perimeter. The tape along the bottom edge of the window isn't continuous, either. It has several gaps about 1/4 inch long between strips. I guess that's to let water drain out so that it doesn't puddle along the bottom of the window, freeze and push it loose. Putting two layers of the foam tape around the perimeter can create a problem getting the window to fit underneath the drip rail and also will make the front edge stand out enough that the window will catch it. On the other hand, the thin acrylic body side molding tape has some difficulty in filling the voids between window and the rough body flange. It's more forgiving when putting on two layers, though because it's not as thick as the foam tape.
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2015 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This tape is close to original as it`s my understanding that the original was 120mil.
I used this and never had any problems.
3m VHB 4959

[URL=http://www.grainger.com/product/15C391?

[This message has been edited by TXGOOD (edited 05-21-2015).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock