Things to watch out for on Transmission and clutch reinstall by MacDee
Started on: 04-28-2015 08:56 AM
Replies: 4 (396 views)
Last post by: MacDee on 05-04-2015 10:39 PM
MacDee

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MacDeeSend a Private Message to MacDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Couldn't find someone to change clutch on a low mileage 86 Fiero GT 4 spd. Tackled it with neighbor. Have new clutch, had flywheel resurfaced. Now need to put it all back together. Transmission case needs to be put back together and I'm getting conflicting advice on sealing the case haves. Should I get specific GM sealant or is Permatex ultra grey or black? Place where i got fllywheel done was asking about dowel pins. From what ive read there aren't any. Any other things to watch out fr or reassembly? This is my first time doing this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've use the red stuff for years, love it. The advantage to it is it won't set until the 2 parts are mated. That gives you a long working time to get the pieces together.
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can, you should make something like this:

This is really handy when you have to tighten and torque the flywheel bolts. It holds the flywheel in place allowing you to torque the bolts correctly.

I made mine with my CNC mill, but it would be just as easy to make it with a 4" grinder with a cutoff wheel, and a drill.
MacDee

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2015 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MacDeeSend a Private Message to MacDeeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. Put new clutch in. Found no pedal on clutch. At first would shift thru gears when not running but wouldn't shift when it was running. Then started in first gear and was able to shift through gears. Bled air out of clutch thru slave. Did not try bleed from retracting slave cylinder yet. But now clutch won't disengage and wheels spin even when clutch is in.bslave seems to have proper throw distance. Only once we saw piston retract slightly while pedal still held down. Couldn't reproduce. Goin to check under carpet for master cylinder leak too.

We were careful not to touch clutch pedal when we had the slave unbolted from tranny. I am wondering if slave seal could have been damaged when clutch was blown. I also have a mystery stamped metal piece that has an "I"and a "P" stamped into it not sure how it fits/oriented on shifter cable area or what it's functionality is.

Doing the clutch on a Fiero has been a journey so far for a couple guys who have never done it before.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock