How hard is your Fiero to steer? by Fiero.1984
Started on: 04-27-2015 11:42 PM
Replies: 32 (2801 views)
Last post by: Fiero.1984 on 06-08-2015 12:53 PM
Fiero.1984

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2015 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I realize that now a days almost all cars have power steering while none of the Fieros have it. It seems that the steering on my 1984 Fiero SE requires a lot of effort. I have an 1978 MGB which does not have power steering and it is much easier to turn that my Fiero. Both cars weight about the same about 2600 pounds and the Fiero does not have an engine up front. So is it just my car that has some type of problem or does all Fieros require much more steering effort? Do you have any suggestion for making it easier? Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IanT720

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IanT720Send a Private Message to IanT720Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I never thought it was hard at all, almost to light. Unless I'm stopped. Do you have a smaller wheel? Wide tires? Those make a big difference. I removed my steering damper. Just make sure everything is good under the front end.

------------------
1987 Fiero GTX 3800 Turbo... My Build, ST3 Cam, Lowered, Wheels, and pics enjoy!https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/089483.html

Monkeyman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 182
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MonkeymanSend a Private Message to MonkeymanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree with Ian. I've been out of Fieros for about 10 years and have gotten used to power steering. Got a Fiero yesterday and drove it around the block. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it steered. FWIW, I have stock sized wheels/tires but even when I get slightly wider tires in the future, I don't foresee any real steering issues.
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 04:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Every since I went to 18x7.5 on the front I consider mine very hard to steer. It may be an alignment issue, but has really made me consider adding power steering

------------------

87GTseries 1 3800sc (7.597 @88.53 1.579 60ft)
(series II swap in progress)
85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
86GT 3800 n/a---sold
Northstar Rebuild

Csjag

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CsjagSend a Private Message to CsjagEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Low tire pressure makes it harder, also don't try to turn the wheel until you start moving the car.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Try one of these. It will also bring some special attention at the next car show. But I here it really works well if get one big enough for you use both hands on it at the same time.

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A wide offset will make it harder to steer, wider rims can too.
Celthora87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Stock formula rims up front with eagle gt's and its one finger wheel turning when stopped..... Although i have a rebuilt rack with all new tie rod ends and new upper and lower ball joints.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tires and inflation will affect steering effort. Even performance (sticky) tires can cause more effort vs "normal" tire at same size.
Caster does affect that too. Many PS cars have More caster vs Non-PS and when PS dies many will has problem because you're fighting dead PS and High Caster.

Originally posted by Imnuts:
Try one of these. It will also bring some special attention at the next car show. But I here it really works well if get one big enough for you use both hands on it at the same time.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Spinners are illegal unless you have "Restrictions: C - Mechanical Aid" on your License. And you have to remove them for other drivers w/o C on license. (Disable spinner example)

Legal issues aside... Big problem is Many cheap spinners like your picture above can catch on/in things or break at the worst time. You might use them on a garden tractor but don't use them for a car/truck on the road.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
necker knob..... haven't seen one of those in 30 years.
Imnuts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ImnutsSend a Private Message to ImnutsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Tires and inflation will affect steering effort. Even performance (sticky) tires can cause more effort vs "normal" tire at same size.
Caster does affect that too. Many PS cars have More caster vs Non-PS and when PS dies many will has problem because you're fighting dead PS and High Caster.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Imnuts:
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Spinners are illegal unless you have "Restrictions: C - Mechanical Aid" on your License. And you have to remove them for other drivers w/o C on license. (Disable spinner example)

Legal issues aside... Big problem is Many cheap spinners like your picture above can catch on/in things or break at the worst time. You might use them on a garden tractor but don't use them for a car/truck on the road.

[/QUOTE]

I hoped everyone knew I was just kidding.
PFF
System Bot
lorennerol

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lorennerolSend a Private Message to lorennerolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Csjag:

...also don't try to turn the wheel until you start moving the car.

That. It's also not the best practice in any car- puts a significant strain on things.

Fiero.1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car came with Ultra rims on P215r60-14 tires which seems to be standard for the SE. I keep them at about 35 PSI which seems to help some but they still are much harder to turn then my MGB. I would have thought with the engine being in the middle, the car would not need power steering. I read somewhere that Pontiac considered putting an electric PS on the car but decided that it did not need it.
Fiero Vampire

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero VampireSend a Private Message to Fiero VampireEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have two Formula's one has stock rims and tires and last time I drove it, it was pretty easy to steer my other has some after market 16X7 wheels and is a lot harder to steer at parking speeds for some reason, not sure if it's the rims or something else as I'm still slowing going thru replacing parts.

(Off Topic) Those Spinners or Suicide bars as I always heard them called is why T-Shirts were so popular in the 50's since shirt sleeves love to get caught in them.
Lou6t4gto

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou6t4gtoSend a Private Message to Lou6t4gtoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I installed power steering in my 87, never look back .
thesameguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for thesameguySend a Private Message to thesameguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had absolutely zero concerns on the stock wheels & stock sized tires, but I was a little worried when I installed 18x7s with pretty sticky tires. I was pleasantly surprised by the resultant steering effort. It's a bit of a bear when stopped, but it's not an issue when moving at all. It's not one-finger light, but I can and have driven it all day without fatigue. I actually look forward to the steering feel.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Celthora87GT:

Stock formula rims up front with eagle gt's and its one finger wheel turning when stopped..... Although i have a rebuilt rack with all new tie rod ends and new upper and lower ball joints.

When stopped? Power steering then?
Celthora87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

When stopped? Power steering then?

Nah not that fancy just a rodney dickman brass bushing and well greased.
Im suprised how easy it is to turn it stopped. Now one finger on my garage floor so smooth concrete. Road is a bit different. Not anything more then two maybe 3 fingers.
Ponnari

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PonnariSend a Private Message to PonnariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, I have several 86-88 GT's, with stock wheels & tires, at speed I feel the steering is almost to light. In a parking lot, driveway, etc. I wish I had a little power assist.
The one I have with 18" wheels and larger tires seems just about perfect except its hard to steer at very low speed.

------------------
"Because in a split second, It's gone"
Ayrton Senna

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Standard steering has a different ratio than power steering. I had a 62 Ford Galaxie 390 that 'had' power steering, but the pump was broke and I drove it for months with no assist if you think a Fiero is hard. Even the new wimpy Nascar drivers cant drive without power steering. We never had it when I raced and we did just fine. I dont think it came to Nascar till the last 10 years or so. No way id want to race with power steering...you have no road feel. Like mentioned, standard steering cars are supposed to be moving to steer it. I always like to add a few degrees of caster to my cars from stock so that they tracked straighter and more stable, and recovered from turns easier.

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Celthora87GT:

Nah not that fancy just a rodney dickman brass bushing and well greased.
Im suprised how easy it is to turn it stopped. Now one finger on my garage floor so smooth concrete. Road is a bit different. Not anything more then two maybe 3 fingers.

What bushing is this? I may beed to do that.
PFF
System Bot
tom10122

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tom10122Send a Private Message to tom10122Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 2.5:

What bushing is this? I may beed to do that.

I think he means this one http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=101

Feel free to correct me.
KaijuSenso

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KaijuSensoSend a Private Message to KaijuSensoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is an adjustment nut on the steering rack. The service manual instructions that come with Rodney's rack bushing has a torque specification that your rack should resist when turned (all measured on the bench.) If your steering rack is in good condition and not binding inside, maybe someone had it apart previously and tightened that nut too much (I did while adjusting it because it felt too loose, made the wheel nearly impossible to turn. Small adjustments are key if you are not measuring the resistance to spec.)
Celthora87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2015 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Celthora87GTSend a Private Message to Celthora87GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tom10122:

I think he means this one http://rodneydickman.com/ca...6_43&products_id=101

Feel free to correct me.

Yup exactly. It is a breeze to put in and I can feel the difference from the crappy plastic one

EDIT: Now when I say "breeze to put in" I mean. I had the whole front suspension apart for new poly bushings so the rack was on the floor of my garage. I picked it up and started, not a breeze if you have to remove it from your car But not terribly hard, you just need to take off the two wheels, take off the two ball joints (replace if necessary) and take the 4 bolts that hold it off the middle of the rack and the bolt that holds it on the steering column and bam! you have it out

[This message has been edited by Celthora87GT (edited 04-28-2015).]

QCMANAGER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QCMANAGERSend a Private Message to QCMANAGEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just recently purchased an 85 GT from someone who put 88 springs and I believe 88 black honeycomb wheels with 215/60-15 tires all around. I have already replaced the shorter 88 springs with a set of OEM's and installed new shocks and struts in the process.

I can hardly back out of the garage since I have to turn when backing up to avoid parked cars behind the driveway and it takes all my strength to turn the wheel. Any suggestions?
QCMANAGER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QCMANAGERSend a Private Message to QCMANAGEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

QCMANAGER

170 posts
Member since Jan 2015
I see someone mentioning installing power steering. Can this actually be done? How costly is it? Where do the parts come from?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by QCMANAGER:

I can hardly back out of the garage since I have to turn when backing up to avoid parked cars behind the driveway and it takes all my strength to turn the wheel.

I suspect you have an automatic. Am I correct?

I wonder how many Fiero owners with "hard steering" are moving slowly with their brakes applied because their Fiero's automatic tranny is propelling them faster than they want to go (while parking, backing up, etc)? So yeah, fighting the resistance of the front brakes will certainly add to the effort required to turn.

With that in mind, I doubt very many Fiero owners with manual trannys complain about the steering being difficult.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 06-04-2015).]

MadMark

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MadMarkSend a Private Message to MadMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 GT seems hard to steer for me. I have 18 x 8 rims and 225/45 summer performance tires up front. I also had a mechanic who redid my alignment for me and added some to the front caster. This really helped for going straight and not climbing the road crown, but it did make it harder to steer. Of course I am getting older too and have carpal tunnel in both wrists and hands, so performance type driving hurts and takes a lot out of me.
My wife has an 88 also, but with somewhat stock rims and tires on it. This car steers really easy compared to my 88GT, but I won't give up the rims and tires.
I have been seriously considering adding power steering with an electric power steering pump. It would certainly make it easier on my hands and wrists.
Lou and Blue

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lou and BlueSend a Private Message to Lou and BlueEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by QCMANAGER:

I see someone mentioning installing power steering. Can this actually be done? How costly is it? Where do the parts come from?

Lou6t4gto informed me of how to do the power steering and what exact parts are needed so he definitely can help you with that!
I didn't do it because well, my steering is tough, tight, and I love it! It's like driving a Go Kart.

------------------
===Always trying to find time to work on cars===
Louis Duet
Baldwin, Long Island, NY
"My mind spins like helicopter blades." -G. Rossdale
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Blue" <= '85 Fiero GT
3800sc series 2 swap in progress
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Boo" <= '81 Delorean DMC-12
VIN #5835
Stock PRV engine
Peugot 604 Intake manifold
Exhaust headers
Anti-3rd brake light

[This message has been edited by Lou and Blue (edited 06-04-2015).]

tebailey

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tebaileySend a Private Message to tebaileyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 84 is sitting on 215 50 17's and sitting still I can spin the wheel with one hand. I once drove a 34ft International straight truck with manual steering, now that was like steering a tank. My 62 Ford had manual steering and you didn't even try to move the wheel unless the car was moving. My Fiero steers better than a lot of cars I've owned that had power steering, so if yours steers that hard you should definitely have it checked.
QCMANAGER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QCMANAGERSend a Private Message to QCMANAGEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Actually, no, it is a 4 speed. I am going to have the front steering and suspension looked at. I hear people saying they can turn their cars easily sitting still and that leads me to believe that there must be something wrong with my car. I will let you know what the mechanic says.

Originally posted by Patrick:

I suspect you have an automatic. Am I correct?

I wonder how many Fiero owners with "hard steering" are moving slowly with their brakes applied because their Fiero's automatic tranny is propelling them faster than they want to go (while parking, backing up, etc)? So yeah, fighting the resistance of the front brakes will certainly add to the effort required to turn.

With that in mind, I doubt very many Fiero owners with manual trannys complain about the steering being difficult.

PFF
System Bot
QCMANAGER

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2015 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for QCMANAGERSend a Private Message to QCMANAGEREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

QCMANAGER

170 posts
Member since Jan 2015
Just to change the subject for a minute, I am trying to change out the notchback taillights. I removed the caps and the long screws above the lenses but I am having a hell of a time getting them to come out. I can get one to move a little in the center where they meet but after that it is almost impossible to remove them. Am I supposed to remove some molding or something else to get these out? Do I have to detach each light socket as I go in order to get the long lenses to come out?

Thanks for your assistance.
Fiero.1984

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2015 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero.1984Send a Private Message to Fiero.1984Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by KaijuSenso:

There is an adjustment nut on the steering rack. The service manual instructions that come with Rodney's rack bushing has a torque specification that your rack should resist when turned (all measured on the bench.) If your steering rack is in good condition and not binding inside, maybe someone had it apart previously and tightened that nut too much (I did while adjusting it because it felt too loose, made the wheel nearly impossible to turn. Small adjustments are key if you are not measuring the resistance to spec.)

What is the torque specification on the adjustment nut?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock